Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many suspicious files on my system! Can't find info anywhere

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LandOfOz

LandOfOz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

Hi Experts!

Very much a non-expert here.  31 years of experience as a user though.  I was looking for a powerpoint presentation on my laptop and found some files that looked very suspicious to me.  The file name is (in part) MsolrmProtector.  I found several variations with different extensions including:

-  7 files named MsolrmProtector.ppt.  These are really small files (8.5kb to 12kb)

-  MsolrmProtector.doc

-  MsolrmProtector.xls

-  WinMsolrmProtector.dll

-  WinOpclrmProtector.dll

The only reference I could find using several search engines many times was actually a post on this site:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526041/suspicious-office-docs-in-windows-system-folders/

The OP basically said he solved his own problem because he mistook an "i" for an "l": 

I found it.

A Serif font, and my eyeglasses, would have helped. B)

It's MsoirmProtector, not MsoLrmProtector

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2843630

Well, I have the same files as he/she did BUT my file names are definitely msoLrmprotector.  i's are dotted; serif or not. 

I added a screenshot showing a few of the files.  Don't know if that helps or not. 

This is the first time I've ever had a file that I couldn't find somewhere.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

Well...how is your system running?  What problems are you experiencing?

Louis

#3 LandOfOz

LandOfOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for replying. It's running slower than usual. Regardless though, I'd like to know what those files are.

#4 LandOfOz

LandOfOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

A very nice poster just privately sent me this link:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/john_westworth/archive/2008/07/09/protecting-office-documents-programmatically-using-rights-management-services.aspx so at least I know the files aren't malware. 

Thanks!

I still think it's really unusual that if I do a google search of MsolrmProtector* I get nothing but another poster asking a similar question in non-tech sites.  Just odd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users