Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Overheating

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 megatothethrax

megatothethrax

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

I'm having a similar problem, there is little dust in the heat sink, my brother says the way that me and my friend applied the thermal paste is incorrect, we put a thin layer of thermal paste on, but covered the whole copper square, did we use too much?

the fans cpu goes up to 81C when playing planetside 2, it is currently at 57C

Can I please have some help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 megatothethrax

megatothethrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:15 AM

The CPU is at 61C when I am not running much.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

we put a thin layer of thermal paste on, but covered the whole copper square, did we use too much?

the fans cpu goes up to 81C when playing planetside 2, it is currently at 57C

Your friend is right, you messed up. Thermal paste hasn't meant to be been applied like that since the 90's.

What you're suppose to do, with modern thermal paste, is put a small pea sized glob in the middle and then mount the heat sink on top of it- letting the pressure spread out the paste evenly. When you apply a entire layer at once it creates air bubbles when the heat sink is mounted.

Although it may not be you applying the thermal paste incorrectly. What CPU are you using and what heat sink are you using? 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 megatothethrax

megatothethrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

I had speed fan 4.49 as my fan indicator, It says that my pc is hotter, I just downloaded Soeccy to find out what pc I had, and it indicates that the temperature is lower at 38-42C when not gaming

AMD FX-8150 39 °C
Zambezi 32nm Technology

Motherboard
ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 (CPUSocket) 38 °C

What program is more acurate to see what temperature pc is at?

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

My fault for not asking first.

Speed fan can definitely be inaccurate. It has some incompatibility problems. 

Me and everyone else I know uses CoreTemp for CPU temperature monitoring. 

Never said what heat sink you were using. 

Your motherboards support page says it doesn't support your CPU. It says it only supports the eight "core" zambezi CPUs up to 3.2Ghz. The FX-8150 is a eight "core" zambezi CPU running at 3.6Ghz. So... if you run into some instability problems in the future, or the motherboard fails entirely, that's why. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 megatothethrax

megatothethrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

CPU
AMD FX-8150
Cores 8
Threads 8
Name AMD FX-8150
Code Name Zambezi
Package Socket AM3+ (942)
Technology 32nm
Specification AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core Processor
Family F
Extended Family 15
Model 1
Extended Model 1
Stepping 2
Revision OR-B2
Instructions MMX (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4A, AMD 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, FMA4
Virtualization Supported, Disabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Fan Speed 1656 RPM
Bus Speed 200.4 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 2003.8 MHz
Stock Core Speed 3600 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
Average Temperature 40 °C
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 8 x 16 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 4 x 64 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 4 x 2048 KBytes
L3 Unified Cache Size 8192 KBytes

I think the problems solved now, I think theres a bit of crashing, but I will work that out in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users