Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:29 AM

Hi all,
Yesterday some downloaded windows updates caused problems on my laptop. I had run an SFC scan afterwards which said there were errors...before the windows updates an SFC scan was clean.
I ran DISM and it repaired the corruption and then SFC scan was back to no errors again.
To be on the safe side though I decided to return my laptop back to the previous system restore point instead. I create one or two restore points every week...one of them is always after running SFC scannow to be sure any system errors are picked up early.

1. This was a clean Windows 8.1 installation done about two weeks ago so I know there were at least 5 system restore points done during that time. When I went to system restore though there was only one restore point (the last one) and no options to select any older restore points!! Has anyone any idea of what caused this?

2. I ran DISM then SFC scan again before doing the System Restore..could that have wiped out all the previous System Restore points?

3. When you have SFC Scannow errors is it advisable to try System restore first or try to sort it out with DISM first which is what Ive always done in the past?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:50 AM

Have you used the disk cleanup tool recently?

You should do the DISM to resolve file corruption.  System Restore may be able to take the operating system back to a point before any corruption was evident, but it is questionable as to whether it will prevent the corruption.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

No..I don't use the disk cleanup tool at all.

So like I said I used System Restore to go back to the point before I installed those problematic Windows Updates. SFC scan now shows no errors so everything seems to be fine.

Am I correct in thinking that its OK for me to have done that....and from your comments above are you just saying that now if the corruption reoccurs that I should just run DISM to repair the files?

My thinking basically was that DISM repairs system files ..so going back to a System Restore Point when I know SFC had run without errors would do exactly the same thing..is my logic wrong then? If you find SFC scan errors...is the best first option to run DISM?

Edited by sportsfan1, 22 October 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

Some times sfc /scannow can repair corrupt files, if it can't the scan will tell you that "some files could not be repaired", this is when you want to use the DISM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:43 PM

Oh Yeah I know sfc /scannow has to be run before DISM to see  if it can sort out the repairs...what Im unsure about is whether they should always be done as the first option before a System Restore point is used or is it just a matter of choice. Have  I harmed anything by doing the System Restore instead of allowing sfc /scannow and DISM if required to sort out the errors found by sfc /scannow?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

I doubt you harmed anything, but it was not needed if the problem was corrupted files.

Generally you would want to run the sfc /scannow first, there are times that the sfc scan can repair files.  You want to run the sfc first so you know if there are or were corrupt files, and if there were corrupt files that it couldn't repair.

#7 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for your help. I couldn't understand where all my System Restore Points went to.. I must have had at least five but when I went into system restore there was only the last one...the others had disappeared. I had done three restore points this week alone

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

You never answered my question.  Did you use the disk cleanup tool?  If you did, that's where your restore points went.

#9 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:05 AM

No...I didn't use any disk clean up tool. Ive never used anything like that. It might be just me but I don't trust them lol

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

The Disk Cleanup tool in Windows is safe to use.  The following is a quote form Microsoft.

You can use Disk Cleanup to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your drives, which can help your PC run faster. It can delete temporary files and system files, empty the Recycle Bin, and remove a variety of other items that you might no longer need.

Programs which you should not use are registry cleaners or optimization software.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#11 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

Everything seems to be working OK since the system restore so Im happy now...thanks for all your help and patience

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

I'm glad to hear that the restore worked.

#13 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

Once again..thanks mate

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users