Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted Pop Up Trying To Sell Stuff

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nayei

nayei

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

I have run Ad-Aware and A-Squared and Avg and a few other programs I can't recall the names of at the moment and this is what I have found:

Bloodhound Exploit.56 and Downloader Generic Sxx.

It is my opinion that this is the cause of the repeated pop ups that appear when I am on the net and looking at another website and I think the time has come to use HiJack This to remove them, however I always get the advice from others before taking such a step.

So now I'll wait for your opinions and advice on what Bloodhound Exploit.56 and Dowloader Generic Sxx is and if Hijack This or some other download is the way to get it removed from this computer in question for good.

Thanks to all of you who post with advice on this question.

Nayei.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:39 AM

Assuming that you have a functional, updated anti-virus program, I think you're right - you should post a Hijackthis! log. You would post it in our Hijack forums, and you need to read this first. Be patient because they're overworked and underpaid (free) in there, and do not reply to your own post because they look for posts with no replies.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:02 PM

I recently wiped my hdd, installed my OS and used an out of date copy of AVG to go online to update the AVG and add Spybot search and destroy, AdAware, Cleaner, Asquared, Sygate, and Ewido, and before I had finished the AVG update I was getting pop ups. Long story short is that in that short period of time I managed to get five different trojan horses, as nasty form of adware called look2me which generates lots and lots of pop up ads, and a list of other nasty stuff. But after getting all of these downloads and updates completed I was able to go into safe mode and run all of my scans, and was able to get rid of most all of them on the first scans.

If you do this, run the Ccleaner first to straighten the registry, and then start anywhere you want and proceed, I did have two tiems that Spybot requested that I have them look for them after a reboot, but I was able to rid myself of all these...I now have a clean machine. You might want to try this yourself, I found a free download site that has all of the above, if you are interested go here. All of the programs are listed alphabetically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

I recently wiped my hdd, installed my OS and used an out of date copy of AVG to go online to update the AVG and add Spybot search and destroy, AdAware, Cleaner, Asquared, Sygate, and Ewido, and before I had finished the AVG update I was getting pop ups. Long story short is that in that short period of time I managed to get five different trojan horses, as nasty form of adware called look2me which generates lots and lots of pop up ads, and a list of other nasty stuff. But after getting all of these downloads and updates completed I was able to go into safe mode and run all of my scans, and was able to get rid of most all of them on the first scans.

If you do this, run the Ccleaner first to straighten the registry, and then clear your cookies and online history, and then start anywhere you want and proceed, I did have two tiems that Spybot requested that I have them look for them after a reboot, but I was able to rid myself of all these...I now have a clean machine. You might want to try this yourself, I found a free download site that has all of the above, if you are interested go here. All of the programs are listed alphabetically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users