Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

manually clearing the WU cache?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

Are there any downsides to manually clearing the WU cache like they do in the beginning of this video ?

And generally, please help me understand the implications of clearing the WU cache (if any), and help me understand what the WU cache even is specifically? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

Clearning WU cache, if I understand our friends White Hat Mike & Brian, would clear WU history, the next restart would have the computer begin from the beginning with all available updates -- similar to just having purchased a brand new computer.  Because direct download URLs are not allowed, one of them will have to advise you how to go out and get their batchfile from White Hat Forum[s].

Edited by RolandJS, 21 October 2015 - 02:07 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

if I understand our friends White Hat Mike & Brian, would clear WU history, the next restart would have the computer begin from the beginning with all available updates -- similar to just having purchased a brand new computer.

Not really. The download history is located in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder. If you clean that folder (empty it) or rename it (it'll be recreated), you'll just lose the ability to see via the Windows Update panel what updates you installed. You won't have to re-download any of them because Windows still knows which updates are installed and which aren't. As for the Download folder, it'll only force Windows to re-download the updates that were pending for an install, which is a good thing because often updates that stays in that folder for too long will have their file corrupted or dissapear and the update won't be able to install.

In other words, there's nothing wrong in deleting the content of renaming the Download and DataStore folders. It's often done for Windows Update troubleshooting.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Aura!  I did not understand correctly -- now I do.  Lemmie change another of my answer...

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

Aura, will I still be able to see what updates are installed via control panel?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

If you rename or delete the DataStore folder, you won't be able to see the history of updates that were installed on your system (or the attempts made). You'll still be able to see what updates are available for install, after you check for them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:31 PM

Aura, to clarify, will I still be able to go into Control Panel, Uninstall a Program, View Installed Updates, and see all of the updates that are installed? Or will I literally be unable to find out what updates are installed in any way? thanks

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

You will be unable to see what updates are installed that way. If you want, I can try it on a VM to let you know for sure.

unite_blue.png

#9 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Sure, that would be neat.  I find it weird that you wouldn't be able to tell what's installed, because, well, currently I can go in uninstall programs and uninstall a patch. If that list becomes empty, then you wouldn't be able to uninstall any previous patches.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:34 PM

You can still uninstall updates via the command prompt.

rONW46K.pngUninstall a Windows Update - Command Prompt
Follow the instructions below to uninstall a Windows Update manually via the command prompt.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below (you can copy/paste it, to paste in the command prompt, right-click inside it and select Paste):
    wusa /uninstall /KB:$NUMBER
  • Let me know the outcome of the command: either it uninstall the update or either it says that the update isn't installed on the system;

unite_blue.png

#11 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

Hmm, well I'm not currently looking to uninstall a KB update, but, it has been suggested to me in another thread that clearing the wu cache may solve an issue with the broken WU notifier. However, I don't want to no longer be able to see which updates are installed, so, before clearing the cache I would like to know if I could still see what updates I have installed or not  (so far I am hearing that I would not be able to see that anymore.  I don't want to do something that may not help me at all and also causes a new issue I don't want.)

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

Is that the thread you are referring to?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592752/kb3083710

Booting up a VM right now.

unite_blue.png

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

Alright so after renaming the DataStore folder to DS.bak, my Windows Update shows that I never checked nor installed any updates on my system (which isn't true). My update history (from the Windows Update panel) is also empty, however, I can still see my installed Windows Updates under "Programs and Features". Which means that Windows most likely queries them from the Registry and not a file in the DataStore folder. So I can still see them and uninstall them from there. So you'll be safe if you decide to empty the DataStore folder or rename it.

unite_blue.png

#14 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

Cool, yeah, that's how I thought it worked. Sounds like there is no downside for me to clearing the wu cache, so I guess I will try that soon. (That wasn't the thread although that thread talks about some of the same stuff)  Thanks for taking your time to check it out in the vm

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,483 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:58 PM

No problem. Here's the instructions if you need them.

EndqYRa.pngSoftwareDistribution - Rename
Follow the instructions below to rename the folders in SoftwareDistribution.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the commands below one at the time (press Enter to send it);
    net stop wuauserv
    ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DS.bak
    net start wuauserv

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users