Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hive3 -Help ASAP Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptD

CaptD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

Ok, So I had a XP Sp2 computer, I manually went in and toldit was no as 300 version system and got all the updates to bring it to XP Sp3. For some reason I had some issues, I ran Combofix, and it stopped and said something about unable to find or fix or something related to "hive3" I said it would stop, I clicked OK and Combofix continued to run.

Everything seems to have came out OK except I can no longer access my firewall as it seems my ISC service is messed up.

I cant access my firewall, WHICH WAS JUST WINDOWS BUT NOW SAYS COMMODO-even though COMODO is not to be found anywhere on my computer????? I have AVG antivirus

SO my question is, What is "HIVE3"? How do I find and or fix this.

I am trying to solve the Comodo and ISC issues on my own unless you have any ideas/

Sysytem restore so far has failed.

Help ASAP please, I am on a friends computer asking for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/50c51ee9-f25a-4286-9c8c-657b1c6f9868/recovering-windows-7-registry-hivesfiles

this will give some definition to what hives are -- registry files.  OP, wait for a seasoned BC tech [I'm only a customer] to give you guidance.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 CaptD

CaptD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:17 PM

Thanks,  but of no help.

It seems as if my computer has lost that HIVE 3 and also lost Internet Connection Sharing. As it does run, but I have no firewall or ICS access. In fact the Windows firewall now says Comodo-even though I do not have Comodo on my system.

So as a side question. IF my XP is screwed beyond fixing. Am I able to wipe the disk and reinstallXP from square one? In otherword will Microsoft (?) validate my original disk & key?

Why?

Because my computer isquite old A P4 2.4 Ghz processor and 2 Gigs ram, And I dont think it will be able to handle Win 7, because I refuse to go to WIN 8 or Win10

Thanks for trying, if anyone elsxe can help on this please do-kind desperate--WHY? I am Old, disabled and on fixed income and cant simply run out and buy a new computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

If you have a valid XP install CD...and a valid license...there's no reason you should not be able to install XP, then update to SP3...then install all other critical updates.  You will also have to update IE to IE 8.

But...considering that XP is unsupported and at greater risk from malware than any other version of Windows...why bother?  At this time, you probably should be investigating various linux alternatives that would be much safer than having XP installed, IMO.

Louis

#5 CaptD

CaptD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

Yes, I seem to have nearly exausted my abilitys--Firewall refueses to start as it says ICS Internet Connection Services seems to be the problem. As I also said Combofix displays a HIVE3 errror--

So I am going to try one  or two last things of my own, if that fails I shall try a reinsatll of XP Service Pack 3.

If that fails I shall try a XP repair fro disk, If that fails, I shall be force to go to full reinstall of Windows XP and then readd SP3.

Linux, is NOT of any interest as I mostly use the computer for Flight Sim and surfing.

In fact I have a LINUX machine sitting right ere that I am trying to figure out how to rid it of Linux so I can attempt a WIN 7 install. NO WIN 8 and WIN 10 are garbage in my opinion, and I refuse to use them.

FWIW the problem occured when I ran Windows Repair (All In One).

In an event, thanks to all those who gsve me help on this--ya, it is an outdated computer and sytem, but unfortunatly I cannot afford a new computer.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

CaptD, then, by all means, let's maximize the computer you have! As I have run Windows Repair (All in One) many times, do you wish to try running it again, with only a select few checkmarks? My local computer store ran ComboFix -- and I had to restore from a backup to get OPerationS back. If you do not have restorable OS backups, with some electronic elbow grease, MAYBE we can undo-ComboFix, ReDo Windows Repairs -- or simply reInstall your preferred OS.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 October 2015 - 08:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:30 AM

Linux is fine for surfing though, but yeah not your windows flight sim.

To 'get rid of linux' on the other computer, just insert your windows 7 cd and install it, re-partitioning the drive during the install so it's only for win7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users