Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Random Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 madeline317

madeline317

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:05 PM

For the last month or so (maybe month? Maybe a few weeks? I've got a 4-month old, so time means nothing at the moment), my Windows 7 machine has been shutting itself down completely at random. There's no logic or warning. Sometimes it's when I'm in the middle of typing something. Sometimes it's when I've walked away for a few minutes. There is no BSOD, just a shutdown followed by a restart.

(Prior to this, the computer would randomly go to sleep in the middle of me working. It doesn't do that any more. Apparently things have escalated.)

The laptop sits on one of those cooling-fan-desk things, so overheating isn't a problem.

Any idea what I can do to keep this from happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:57 AM

The need to have a cooling fan desk thing makes me wonder if the system does have overheating problems.

And, if so, something may have made it even more unstable (temperature wise).

As it's a laptop, the first step is to blow out all of the vents with canned air (DO NOT USE a vacuum or an air compressor as they can cause physical damage to the system).

Also, ensure that the fan(s) on the laptop is/are running

To help diagnose the problem, please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 madeline317

madeline317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

Thank you.

I can't figure out how to upload the log, so here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/arbnfp0ac52nxfs/Admin.zip?dl=0

I'll get some canned air today.

It appears the temperature is between 37-39C and the CPU fan is operating at 2200 RPM.

#4 madeline317

madeline317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Just checked on the temperature and it's at 40C (44C is the max). Looks like I'm getting that canned air NOW.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:02 AM

Normally temps shouldn't exceed:
CPU - 60ºC
GPU - 80ºC
HDD and other components - 40ºC

Many, many Bonjour errors in the Admin logfile.  Please uninstall this from Control Panel...Programs and features.
Then, if needed, run the Apple Software Updater to get a new version.

Other than that, there aren't any significant entries in the Admin log just prior to the shutdowns.

As such, this is most likely a hardware problem - so please start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Let us know the results and we'll move on from there.

Edited by usasma, 23 October 2015 - 05:03 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 madeline317

madeline317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:53 AM

I uninstalled Bonjour. I'll check the diagnostic tools soon.

New development: The computer isn't detecting my battery. Yesterday, the icon indicated the computer was "plugged in, not charging." I unplugged it and a few seconds later the computer went into hibernation. When I plugged the computer back in and hit the power button, it said there had been a critical power loss (something like that) and my session had been saved. It went on to resume Windows (not restart). After that, the batter icon showed it was plugged in and the charge was 100%. Later in the day, I took the computer upstairs and used it on battery power for maybe 45 minutes. About 2 hours later I tried to use it (still battery power) and it started before doing the same black screen hibernation thing as before.

Now I'm plugged in again and the icon is saying "No battery detected." The battery is definitely plugged in.

I'm not super tech-y. I already went through internet-related issues with this computer (wifi stopped working,hard line plug in stopped working, bought a USB wifi adapter which worked spottily, now regular wifi works again), then there were the shutdowns, now there's this battery issue. I'm about ready to burn this thing and call it a day. (I would have already except literally my whole job is dependent on using a computer.)

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

There's a couple of things to try, but they're rather drastic considering the problems.

One is to wipe the computer and start over again fresh.

This will ensure that only the factory installed software is present - and if the system still acts up, then you'll have to presume that it's a hardware problem.

What were the results of the hardware diagnostics that I suggested?
Another option is to take it to a shop and explain what's happening and have them test it.

You can also post over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert assistance there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users