Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrade from Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Gilbert

Glenn Gilbert

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hello, 

I just purchased a new Lenovo desktop which came with Windows 10 installed. I do medical transcription and was told by my, soon to be, new employer that their system will not work with Windows 10 and I will need to install Windows XP or Windows 7. How would I go about doing that and will it harm this computer?

Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

Glenn,

Your question has a two part answer. From a licensing standpoint, your edition of Windows (e.g. Home Basic, Home Premium, Pro, Enterprise, etc.) has to be eligible for downgrade. Microsoft provides information about this on their OEM Partner page.

The other part is having your original installation media and license key.

The licensing would be taken care of by your OEM (Lenovo) so depending on what version of Windows 10 was installed on the computer you bought you may already have Windows 7 downgrade rights. If you bought a ThinkCentre, ThinkStation, ThinkPad, Idea Tablet, IdeaPad, or IdeaCentre with Windows 10 Pro from Lenovo you have the right to downgrade your computer to Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Pro. If you need the Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Pro Recovery DVD you may be able to purchase it from Lenovo.1

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 21 October 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#3 1dunn0

1dunn0

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:03 AM

Hello,

I am not a professional PC user but I tried downgrading via Windows itself and it worked. I used these instructions and it worked:

http://sensorstechforum.com/forums/what-does-this-websites-security-certificate-is-out-of-date-windows-error-message-mean/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-10-to-your-previous-windows-version/

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

I tried downgrading via Windows itself and it worked.

1dunn0,

This process works if you upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 or from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This process does not apply if the computer that was purchased had an OEM copy of Windows 10 installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users