Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uses for Spare Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whitedragon551

whitedragon551

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

I recently acquired a 2 year old Lenovo T530 with 8Gb of RAM, i5 2.6Gh-3.3Ghz CPU, and a new 500Gb Seagate 7200RPM drive. It runs Windows 8.1 x64 Pro.

I already have a pretty beefy gaming laptop that I use every day that has a second 24" IPS LED monitor and this is my main workstation.

I have a RAID 0 2TB NAS on the network already so I dont need storage space/backups to be stored on this laptop.

Im looking for something to do with the T530. It is out of warranty but still a very capable machine that has a lot of life in it.

Currently I have it hooked up to the TV in my living room via VGA to stream Twitch to the big screen and using AirWatch from my Note 4 as the remote.

What else could I use it for? Im looking for outside the box kind of ideas that arent obvious. For example we all know I could run a linux distro of some kind.

| Windows Firewall Control | Sophos Antivirus |

| Image for Windows v3.18 |

| TysTechTalk.com |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:59 PM

Put some kinda classic video game emulators on it, goes along with it being attached to the tv. Use that steam streaming thing to play games on your pc through the laptop in the living room...

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

I used my old laptop for a long time as a server for whatever game(s) I was playing at the time (ex Minecraft)

You could use it as a server, slap a large hard drive in there and use it as a media server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users