Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone help identify this sound? [gpu or psu]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mysteec

Mysteec

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:58 AM

I'm trying to figure out if this sound is caused by a failing power supply, or graphics card. 

GPU is EVGA GTX 580 and PSU is Corsair TX750w. The sound (which was recorded using a highly sensitive microphone to best capture it) occurs shortly after turning my computer on, and is persistent for as long as the computer remains on. 

When I play a graphically intensive video game, the sound is reduced as the GPU fan increases in RPM. 

I'm leaning more towards it being the graphics card, especially since this power supply shouldn't even have the fan enabled until it goes beyond a certain wattage. Plus, since the computer is always receiving power, shouldn't this problem occur at all times if it were a psu issue? (standby/sleep) 

--

Alt sound source so you don't have to download the mp3. 

http://www.tyharvey.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/ComputerSounds.mp3

Attached Files

Edited by Mysteec, 21 October 2015 - 02:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:16 AM

Id remove the Graphics Card and boot PC = No Noise ? then its that.

If not then it may be the PSU  / Try another.

Also Check all Fan blades.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but no-one can tell the location of a sound from a recording of it...

What prevents you from identifying where the sound is coming from? As Havachat comments, remove or change candidate, see if the sound stops.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:24 PM

I would take some paper, and fold it up a bunch to make like a little stick of paper (not so rigid as a pencil, but not so floppy as a non-folded paper) and then carefully push it against each fan in the computer, which will slow the fan down (you can even fully stop the fan but don't do it for more than a split second) and then you will see which fan is making the noise, if indeed it's a fan making the noise.

Also, I would unplug all of the hard drives and turn on the computer and see if they noise is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users