Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer laptop win 8.1 gray screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 win81suks

win81suks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:50 AM

Unfortunately had to pawn my new Acer laptop  and when I picked it up went home plugged in to charge and tried to turn on I could only get power by closing and reopening the screen and only get a gray screen. Can not get f8 or f12 keys to work USB recovery stick flashes when inserted but does nothing else. I called the pawn shop which of course blamed me and laughed at and belittled me. I am angry and heartbroken. I can usually get all my crap pc's up and running when they won't boot but have never had this kind of problem. I am just lost. Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 win81suks

win81suks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

Got it all fixed!! This one is going to make us look stupider than we are!!!! First off do not leave them on their charge for more than 4 hours when not in use, it causes a static lock on the motherboard from overcharging. The solution is to stick a paper clip into the tiny reset hole on the bottom center right above a screw hole, this bleeds the static off allowing electricity to flow again. Then plug charger back in and push power. Remove the power cord after it boots as the battery should still be charged.  I barely found it with a magnifying glass after being told exactly where it was!!! And I did look all over it for one before I even posted this and could not find it!! I have had several pc's in the past and some phones that would not start because of static electricty and I would unplug all cables remove batteries and let the sit for a while, hook it all back up ad they worked. Any way make sure all cables of any kind are disconnected from laptop before reseting. Thanks to every one for your time and advice I really do appreciate it!!!! I am so happy now. All that stress over something so easy to fix!!! :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users