Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading ram/speed help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brandontech4294

brandontech4294

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:26 AM

I was wondering, on a laptop that is using an igpu, will upgrading the ram from 800Mhz DDR3 ram to 1600Mhz DDR3 ram, make a significant performance difference? I recognize that igpu's utilize dual channeled memory allocated to be used for graphical situations...and in the same theory that applies to APU's where higher ram clock did make huge gains, I was wondering if Intel igpus are affected that same way?

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2015 - 02:03 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

With a dedicated gpu, you will not see a boost in performance with faster ram. Faster ram speed is only useful for virtual machines and amd apus. Look for a larger ram size rather than speed.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 brandontech4294

brandontech4294
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

With a dedicated gpu, you will not see a boost in performance with faster ram. Faster ram speed is only useful for virtual machines and amd apus. Look for a larger ram size rather than speed.

Did you even read what I posted? lol I'm pretty sure I clearly said "igpu" which means it's an integrated gpu...it's not a discrete gpu like an Nvidia GT820m. An Intel HD5500 is graphics processor built into the computer and shares ram from the computer, it doesn't have it's own ram that's why I want to know if ram clock speed will help it or not. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

RAM clock speed...is determined by the motherboard.

Putting "faster" RAM in a system will not be of any value unless said motherboard supports higher-rated speed in certain situations....e.g., overclocking.  If you cannot overclock, that RAM will run at the speed controlled by the motherboard.

IMO...the quantity of RAM would be more significant than the speed...in a situation where the graphics functions draws its resources from system RAM.  The more RAM installed which is supported by the O/S...there is a 4GB limit for 32-bit Windows...the more resources the system has for RAM and the other Windows functions/processes which consume resources.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users