Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics card won't boot past setup screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bigst79

bigst79

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:52 AM

Hey guys,

New to the forums.   Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I bought an EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti to replace by Nvidia Geforce 9600.  Problem is, when I boot up the PC with the new GPU, it gets stuck in the HP setup screen.   The blue one with the hand that says "hit esc for setup."   Hitting escape does nothing.  The computer sits there idle. The fan on the graphics card is functioning.  The PC then beeps 4 times (with a 25 second pause in between each beep), then immediately after the 4th beep are 3 quick beeps that occur within a split second of each other, then the monitor shuts down, but the PC remains on.  Hitting the power button shuts the PC down immediately.  If I pop the old graphics card back in, it boots up fine. Same thing if I use onboard graphics as well....boots fine.  Here is the info I believe you need...

PC model:  HP H8 1010  http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-h8-1010-core-i5-2390t-2-7-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/

Thermaltake TR2 W0070 430W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6150412&SID=ig0bdbbxb8003n5q00053

new GPU  http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3751-KR/dp/B00IDG3PRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1445405943&sr=8-3&keywords=evga+gtx+750ti

What I've tried:

• downloaded drivers for new card > ran driver sweeper in safe mode to remove old drivers > shut down > installed new GPU (securely) > power on > stuck on HP boot screen, so then i tried...
  • reset PC to factory settings
  • reinstalled windows 10 (PC came with windows 7 originally)
  • reseating RAM (suggested in another forum)
  • reseating battery to motherboard (suggested in another forum)
  • making sure Legacy was enabled in bios (suggested in another forum)

the new card is said to work with a 300wt PSU or above.  Mine is 430wt so I don't think it's that.  I've reseated the card numerous time.  I'm sure it's not that.  I'm out of ideas.  Any help would be much appreciated.  FYI, I've seen some suggest making sure the PSU is plugged into the GSU, but mine draws power from the motherboard...there is no connection.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigst79

bigst79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:54 AM

I also tried looking up bios beep codes for my PC but couldn't find one that matched properly. 

#3 bigst79

bigst79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

Anyone??

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Few possibilities:

1. Bad bios setting, I recommend you go into your bios and reset everything to default, then try to put the new card in.

2. Bad new card, this happens, often called DOA or "dead on arrival".

3. Bad motherboard or incompatibility, this seems not possible being that a 9600 works in the same slot, however, newer cards often make use of different pin outs from the pci-e slot, each has different power requirements etc.

If resetting the bios does not work, and the motherboard is capable of running the card, I personally would try a different 750ti.

Edited by zingo156, 21 October 2015 - 03:23 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

Can you give us the exact model number from the motherboard? This might help to determine if that motherboard is capable of delivering the needed wattage to that card through the pci-e lane.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

One last thing to check on your motherboard while you have the case open is for blown or bulging capacitors.

#7 bigst79

bigst79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for your response.  The motherboard is a Hp Ipisb-Cu 644016-001 Motherboard.   I did not see any bulging or blown capacitors.  Only one was suspect, as seemed like it might be a little lose, but other than that, no.  Although it  is nearby to the graphics card slot. 

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

It would be fairly noticable if one was bulging or blown (leaking). By lose is there a contact that is no longer soldered to the board or has broken?

One thing I will say about HP motherboards during the sandy bridge years was that they were very unreliable unfortunately. If this is your board, I recall seeing them quite frequently and often times they had failed.

If you know someone who has a computer that you can test that 750ti in, it would help us rule out that part.

It is still possible that the 750ti has a problem.

At the moment, my best guess is that your motherboard should be able to power the 750ti, so either the card has a problem, or the motherboard has a problem.

One thing is certain, any time the computer fails to comletely post, it is a hardware related issue. This means you can rule out windows, or any driver etc.

Try the card in a different computer or get another card to test with, either way this should provide an answer to which component has a problem.

Edited by zingo156, 22 October 2015 - 07:12 AM.

#9 bigst79

bigst79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

The contact seems to be intact on that one capacitor, so I don't think it's that.  And believe it or not I don't know anyone who owns a tower that I could try my card out with.

I will try a new graphics card, but I was already pretty limited to what my PC can handle before having to narrow it down to only ATI or AMD.  Also, I have a 430wt PSU which I believe is the highest my motherboard can handle.   So my motherboard + 430Wt PSU + the GPU brand restriction really limits my choices of a GPU.  I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a good budget gaming card that handle some better online games like World of Tanks or World of Warships, but I am willing to accept a lower resolution. 

I'm not asking you to shop for me, I'm sure you're busy, but if you do happen to have a graphics in mind that you think might be a good fit... I'm all ears. 

That being said, I will send this GPU back to Amazon (I hate shipping back products, but I had a gift card) and I will shop for an ATI or AMD.  I will also repost if I am able to fix my issue with this intervention. 

Thanks for your help.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:19 AM

I am not certain the brand will make any difference, it should not, any pci-e card should work in your motherboard in theory, unless there is a wattage limitation. Unfortunately I could not find any exact specifications for what your motherboard is capable of passing through to a video card through the pci-e lane. Generally it is standardized depending on pci-e 1, 2, 3 etc.

If you want the 750ti, I would say try another 750ti in the off chance that you received a DOA new card. The only problem with this is if you get another one and it does not work, then you have to go through ordering another card and waiting again. This might be the case with any newer video card if your motherboard is the problem.

As for power supplies, the motherboard is a standard atx so you could use any atx power supply your case would fit. You could go up as far as you wanted as long as the psu fit inside the case.

For cards, the 750ti is a good one for the price, so is the 960 or 960ti.

If you get a card which takes power directly from the power supply, you might be able to use that card even if the motherboard has a problem or incompatibility (if it is power related). It isn't a certainty though.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

You might consider this card which does have a 6pin power connector and is still the 750ti http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Display-Graphics-02G-P4-3757-KR/dp/B00J0ISHMQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445528459&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=750ti+asus+6pin+power

If it will fit and you have a 6 pin power connector available on your psu ***

Edited by zingo156, 22 October 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#12 bigst79

bigst79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

PROBLEM RESOLVED  :bananas:

O.k. so it seems that, as discussed above, the compatibility of the EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti with my motherboard was the issue.    So what I did was, I replaced the following:

the GPU with a sapphire radeon r7 260x (see here) which was only $99 after rebate.  However, the card required direct power from the Power supply and my 430watt PSU wasn't limiting me on my graphics card options, so I replaced my PSU with:

a Corsair CX750m (see here) which was actually only $59 after rebate at the time.  

Problem fixed.  Thanks for your help ZINGO156!

Edited by bigst79, 30 October 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

Glad to help. Happy computing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users