Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New (to me, anyway) "Defer Upgrades" option

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:19 PM

I just fired up my old Dell Inspiron 1720 which had the Win10 previews loaded on it and was converted to Win10 Pro 32-bit at the launch of Win10.

I just took a look at the Advanced options on Windows Update and a "Defer Upgrades" option is appearing now under this version of Win10:

[attachment=171925:Updated_Windows_Update.jpg]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

This sounds like the WaaS (Windows as a Service).  It should force feed you updates that aren't needed for stability - but that include feature updates/upgrades.

Here's a link to an article:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

Defer upgrades in Windows 10

Applies to Windows 10

• Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

More about WaaS:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2015/10/19/making-a-little-more-sense-out-of-windows-as-a-service-and-windows-10-branches.aspx

Edited by usasma, 21 October 2015 - 08:53 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 7,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

I'd seen some of the articles when I searched right after having had this option appear.  This apparently got pushed out over the last several days and it's only on my machine running Win10 Pro.

I am glad that they aren't making deferrals possible for security patches and actual patches to functionality.  My experience as a tech over the years is that I've seen far more problems with clients who have had "update paranoia" and gone for extended times refusing to apply updates than I have with those who have applied them either automatically or manually on a fairly regular basis.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:51 AM

At work we do not skip updates - ever!

IMO problems with most updates can be traced to older/incompatible software on a system.  And skipping the problem update can lead to serious problems further down the line.

I find that any problem updates that are Microsoft-caused are usually fixed very quickly by Microsoft (and many that aren't Microsoft caused).  Do you recall the debacle caused when an OEM loaded both an Intel processor driver and an AMD processor driver on every system it sold?  The problem didn't crop up for a long time - but once an update affected it (it caused BSOD's), there was a mad scramble to fix it!  Microsoft issued a fix, as did the OEM, very quickly

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users