Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to boot from the CD Drive - Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

So, i am going back to Windows 7 so i have my disc and key. But i have no idea how to start my computer from the CD drive with windows 10. With Windows 7, there was a key(like F2 or F12) to change boot device. that is not there with Windows 10. So how do i boot my computer from the CD Drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

UEFI?  UEFI's SecureBoot needs to be off/disabled; LegacyBoot on/enabled; after those thingies were done, what happened?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

How long have you had Win10 installed?  If less than 30 days I'd strongly suggest doing a full backup then using the rollback facility built in to Win10 to go back to Windows 7.  I'm presuming you did the upgrade straight from Win7.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

How long have you had Win10 installed?  If less than 30 days I'd strongly suggest doing a full backup then using the rollback facility built in to Win10 to go back to Windows 7.  I'm presuming you did the upgrade straight from Win7.

I have had Windows 10 since the day it was released. And yes, i did upgrade from windows 7. That is why i can't roll back. i am planning on just installing Windows 7 through the disc. But i can't. I don't know how.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

See the Recovery options under Win10 Update & Security, paying special attention to the Advanced Options.  I haven't used this yet but it would appear to cause the system to reboot giving access to BIOS, etc.

[attachment=171922:Update&Security-Recovery.jpg]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:19 PM

See the Recovery options under Win10 Update & Security, paying special attention to the Advanced Options.  I haven't used this yet but it would appear to cause the system to reboot giving access to BIOS, etc.

attachicon.gifUpdate&Security-Recovery.jpg

Yeah i tried this. I can't boot from a cd drive or anything. I think that might be available only before the 30 days.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:21 PM

Just played with the Advanced Startup and it appears it will allow you to set up BIOS to boot from whatever device you'd prefer and, as RolandJS noted, actually turn of the UEFI and SecureBoot features in BIOS if you're going back to Windows 7.

Here's how I used it to get into BIOS:

Used the Advanced Startup option

In Advanced Startup sequence:

- Choose Troubleshoot

- Choose Advanced

- Choose UEFI and hit the Restart button there

When the system restarts again you are presented with a menu (the old black screen with white plain text) that's pretty self-explanatory if this is something you've dealt with in the past.  The fact that you're talking about alternate boot devices, etc., makes me think that you are.

~ Lauren Bacall

#8 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, i went to the advanced startup options and there is no UEFI option. 

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:56 PM

If your system started out with Win7 you probably don't have one, as that was introduced with Win8.  However, there must be *some* setting you can get to that allows you to change boot options.  I don't know what shows up for you.

The machine I'm on started out life with Win8.1 so the UEFI option is there.  I have another that started out life with Windows Vista on which I loaded the Win10 Preview.   I just started it up and I get the good old-fashioned screen that gives you the Function key options to get into BIOS and Startup Options.  Once I go to the Advanced Startup option in Recovery and start walking through the process I still get the "Troubleshoot" and "Advanced" choices but also do not get a UEFI option because the hardware never came equipped with this and I'm still being given the conventional Function key options at startup.

If you remember what Function key was used to get you into BIOS I would try pressing it about once a second when you're booting up from a complete shutdown and see if that gets you into BIOS.

~ Lauren Bacall

#10 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:06 PM

If your system started out with Win7 you probably don't have one, as that was introduced with Win8.  However, there must be *some* setting you can get to that allows you to change boot options.  I don't know what shows up for you.

The machine I'm on started out life with Win8.1 so the UEFI option is there.  I have another that started out life with Windows Vista on which I loaded the Win10 Preview.   I just started it up and I get the good old-fashioned screen that gives you the Function key options to get into BIOS and Startup Options.  Once I go to the Advanced Startup option in Recovery and start walking through the process I still get the "Troubleshoot" and "Advanced" choices but also do not get a UEFI option because the hardware never came equipped with this and I'm still being given the conventional Function key options at startup.

If you remember what Function key was used to get you into BIOS I would try pressing it about once a second when you're booting up from a complete shutdown and see if that gets you into BIOS.

I have tried this. it doesn't work. i don't think booting from a disc works. is there any other way? like a run-able IOS file? or something?

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.  I have no idea why your system would not allow you into BIOS via the usual method.  It's clearly not Win10 itself that has control of this in any meaningful way.

~ Lauren Bacall

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

What is the make and model of your system?  Each system has different keys to boot from CD/DVD (some are enabled, some are disabled by default)

Also, some systems have recovery options that you can press a key to get at.

Other systems (W7 type) have you press F8 to get at the "Repair this computer menu" - which will then allow you to get into the recovery partition.

For example, on an HP system:

- press ESC to get the boot choices menu

- press F9 to get the boot from other devices menu

- press F11 to get the recovery menu

On a Dell/Toshiba/Lenovo -  try F12

On an Acer/Gateway/eMachines - it may be disabled, otherwise it's F10 or F12

Sony should give you the choice to boot automatically

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:17 AM

What is the make and model of your system?  Each system has different keys to boot from CD/DVD (some are enabled, some are disabled by default)

Also, some systems have recovery options that you can press a key to get at.

Other systems (W7 type) have you press F8 to get at the "Repair this computer menu" - which will then allow you to get into the recovery partition.

For example, on an HP system:

- press ESC to get the boot choices menu

- press F9 to get the boot from other devices menu

- press F11 to get the recovery menu

On a Dell/Toshiba/Lenovo -  try F12

On an Acer/Gateway/eMachines - it may be disabled, otherwise it's F10 or F12

Sony should give you the choice to boot automatically

I know the key to change the boot device. It just stopped working after windows 10 was installed

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:24 PM

By that, I presume that you mean that I don't need to know the information that I requested.
As such, I wish you luck in solving this problem.

I won't be bothering you again.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users