Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New security pc recommendation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 7i7j7s

7i7j7s

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hi, I'm new here, I've been reading the forum and finally I decide to create a new topic.
Week ago, I bought a new laptop and I want to protect it, I know the basics of secure navigation and how protect my pc...

But in many topics, people recommend a good Antivirus, Anti-Malware, firewall, anti exploit... So I decide to buy Emsisoft Internet Security and MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit.

But also I've read that Windows Defender and Windows Firewall is good enough and I am confused because don't know if I need so much protection...

Can you recommend what to do, or tell me other solutions?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

Much depends on you surfing habits, 90+ problems are caused by the user.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 7i7j7s

7i7j7s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:16 PM

Yep, I'm very carefully when surf and install software, that's the reason why I'm confused about this security programs, because I don't know if there are necessary for me... I've never install a malware by myself in years...
Thanks!

Edited by 7i7j7s, 20 October 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:26 PM

You will get many ideas on what to run, I am pretty careful what I do.  I run Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes free edition, Superantispyware free edition and Malwarebytes Anti Exploit also free.  So far so good, there are quite a few decent offerings, hang in for a little more input.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall, anti-malware and other security programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Everyone's system is different and sometimes you may need to experiment in order to find the combination which works best and is most suitable for your needs.

Emsisoft Internet Security (EIS) is a complete security suite which combines Emsisoft Anti-Malware with an efficient powerful firewall created using the firewall core previously found in Emsisoft Online Armor. The rest of the software code is hand·made by the Emsisoft team.

Note: EIS will automatically turn off Windows Firewall during installation since it is not needed.

If you had not already purchased EIS, I would have recommended Emsisoft Anti-Malware + Windows Firewall.

I also recommend the following to supplement the above and for additional security:

To protect against the increasing threat of ransomware, I recommend:

Note: Some security researchers have advised not to to use multiple anti-exploit applications because using more than one of them at the same time can hamper the effectiveness of Return-oriented programming (ROP) and other exploit checks. This in turn can result in the system becoming even more vulnerable than if only one anti-exploit application is running.

To protect your browser and help prevent advertisements & block websites, I generally recommend one or more of the following:

Notes about Adblock Plus and NoScript:
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is letting companies pay to let their ads through
Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus

Also see How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia PSI.

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:48 PM

Quietman - your "Notscripts for Chrome" link leads to an error page.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:25 AM

You made a good choice - Emsisoft Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will serve you well :)

#8 7i7j7s

7i7j7s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:10 AM

Hi again! :) Thanks you all for the recommendation, I probably purchase the EAM, and use it with Windows Firewall, MalwareBytes anti-exploit and uBlock for chrome... Another question about ransomware, I've read about it but don't know exactly how can I install it, attacking through the email spam? surfing and installing strange software?

Another question, the free tools that recommend Quietman7, I need to run only when I think I'm infected or let all running, monitoring my system?

Thanks again!

#9 7i7j7s

7i7j7s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:18 AM

I only want to install EAM, because I've read that EIS is blocking connections and have few bugs in W10... I Tried one month free version and it's true for me... I think it was a error with Windows Firewall, but I'm testing now EAM without Firewall and it runs perfect.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:39 AM

Quietman - your "Notscripts for Chrome" link leads to an error page.

Replaced with ScriptSafe for Chrome.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:48 AM

...Another question about ransomware, I've read about it but don't know exactly how can I install it, attacking through the email spam? surfing and installing strange software?

Crypto malware and other forms of ransomware is typically spread and delivered through social engineering (trickery) and user interaction...opening a malicious email attachments (usually from an unknown or unsolicited source), clicking on a malicious link within an email or on a social networking site. Crypto malware can be disguised as fake PDF files in email attachments which appear to be legitimate correspondence from reputable companies such as banks and other financial institutions, or phony FedEx and UPS notices with tracking numbers. Attackers will use email addresses and subjects (purchase orders, bills, complaints, other business communications) that will entice a user to read the email and open the attachment. Another method involves tricking unwitting users into opening Order Confirmation emails by asking them to confirm an online e-commerce order, purchase or package shipment. Still another technique uses spam emails and social engineering to infect a system by enticing users to open an infected word document with embedded macro viruses and convince them to manually enable macros that allow the malicious code to run. Social engineering has become on of the most prolific tactics for distribution of malware, identity theft and fraud.

Crypto malware can also be delivered via exploit kits and drive-by downloads when visiting compromised web sites...see US-CERT Alert (TA14-295A): Crypto Ransomware. There have been reports that some victims have encountered crypto malware following a previous infection from botnets (such as Zbot (Zeus)) which downloads and executes the ransomware as a secondary payload from infected websites. US-CERT also advises crypto malware has the ability to find and encrypt files located within shared (or mapped) network drives, USB drives, external hard drives, network file shares and even some cloud storage drives...see US-CERT Alert (TA13-309A). This typically occurs when such devices are connected when the initial infection is encountered and executing.

The best defensive strategy is a comprehensive approach...make sure you are running an updated anti-virus and anti-malware product, use supplemental security tools with anti-exploitation features capable of stopping (preventing) infection before it can cause any damage, update all vulnerable software and routinely backup your data. You should also rely on behavior detection programs rather then standard anti-virus definition (signature) detection software only. This means using programs that can detect when malware is in the act of modifying/encrypting files rather than just detecting the malicious file itself which in most cases is not immediately detected by anti-virus software.

For example, Emsisoft Anti-Malware uses advanced behavioral analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate...it continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. EAM also has the ability to detect unknown zero-day attacks without signatures. ESET Antivirus and Smart Security use Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications on users’ systems that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components.

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

...Another question, the free tools that recommend Quietman7, I need to run only when I think I'm infected or let all running, monitoring my system?.

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections so it gives you another tool to use for a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.

SpywareBlaster is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". If you're not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial. In addition to explaining how to use the tool, the tutorial covers other built-in tools and features.

WinPatrol is a versatile program (originally released by Bill Pytlovany/BillP Studios on November 19, 1997 and now owned by Ruiware, LLC) that monitors important system areas that are commonly altered by malware. This includes the startup groups (registry and startup folder), cookies and active tasks. WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. The program is split into two components. WinPatrol.exe is the real-time component which monitors for system changes and displays the Scotty icon in the taskbar. WinPatrolEx.exe (WinPatrol Explorer) provides the main tabbed interface which allows you to review all the various tabs by double-clicking the Scotty icon in the taskbar.

WinPatrol utilizes a small memory footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources...and offers many features such as:

• Takes a snapshot of critical system resources and provides alerts if any changes occur.
  • Tracks programs that have been installed on your system and monitor the location Windows uses to store Uninstall information.
  • Serves as a Startup Manager which works much better than MSConfig.
  • Has the ability to delay the launch of a Startup program.
  • Alerts to changes in programs that run at startup.
  • Alerts if another program has removed a Startup program.
  • Detects and alerts to changes in Internet Explorer Home and Search pages.
  • Allows viewing, management and deletion of Cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla based browsers.
  • Monitors toolbars, registry modifications, changes to file extensions and changes to the HOSTS file.

WinPatrol PLUS provides high performance, Real-time Infiltration Detection, registry monitoring and locking, and access to the PLUS Info database. It requires a one time fee for all future versions (updates) and a single license is valid on all your personal desktops and laptops. See How To Activate WinPatrol PLUS features.

Also see the List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware in these topics:

#12 7i7j7s

7i7j7s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

Wow! great information, thanks!

Them, if I understand it correctly, and supposing I know how to surfing and what i´m doing... with EAM, Windows Firewall, ublock and maybe an anti-exploit????? I should be fine, no?

And from time to time, an on demand scanner with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Thanks a lot!!!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

You understand correctly and you are welcome.

#14 7i7j7s

7i7j7s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

Okay them and thanks you all for help me! Great community here :)

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:28 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users