Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB capabilities of ASUS B150M-A D3 Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

I'm going to buy a new motherboard and I'm looking at the ASUS B150M-A D3 unit. My current computer has four USB 2.0 ports on the front and I have had times where I'm using them all at once. I found a new case that supports four USB 2.0 ports on the front panel so that is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

The spec sheet for the ASUS board states the following for USB Ports:

Intel B150 Chipset:

6 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, )

Intel B150 Chipset:

6 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 4 at mid-board)

I assume that since the spec sheet lists both of these configurations, that I can configure the motherboard to work with either one. Can someone tell me if this assumption is correct?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:18 PM

It's not the clearest explanation.  To translate, it has 4 x USB 3.0 ports, and 2 x USB 2.0 ports on the rear panel (the USB 3.0 ports are colour coded blue, despite what they say).  There's a picture of the back panel in the gallery page - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B150M-A-D3/gallery/

It also has 2 x USB 2.0 headers, and 1 x USB 3.0 header on the board - for connecting to front panel connectors etc.  Each header connects to two ports.  So if the case comes with 4 USB ports, you'd connect to both of the motherboards USB 2.0 headers.  Picture below shows the actual header location on that board:

oULfn55.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

Jon,

Thanks, you were able to help me again!

After reading your post it finally occurred to me to check the ASUS web site to see if there is a downloadable user manual for this board and, sure enough, there is. It looks to me as though the MB has twelve usable USB ports....six 3.0 and six 2.0; i.e., they all could be in operation at the same time. From what I've read, a USB 2.0 device may be plugged into a USB 3.0 port, so I might be able to modify two of the USB ports on the front of the new chassis to be USB 3.0. (I'm a lot better with mechanical stuff than I am with software.)

I'm gonna order this motherboard today, along with all of the other stuff to build a new system unit. Then the fun will REALLY begin.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Not a problem :)  Yes USB 3.0 ports are backward compatible with USB 2.0/1.1 devices.  However, the USB 3.0 headers on the motherboard have a different pin out to USB 2.0.  If your case only has USB 2.0 ports, one solution is to add USB 3.0 front panel connectors through a 5.25" Drive Bay.  One example here (first one I found, may be better options) - http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Port-Charging-SY-HUB20134/dp/B008FJXGDQ

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for this extra info. I used your link to Amazon and this might be a good solution. I don't have the new tower case yet, so I don't know how it will be configured, I'm assuming that the case will come with the USB 2.0 connectors installed with cables attached to them to connect them to the motherboard, so of course, they couldn't be used with the 3.0 interface. What I was originally thinking was to remove two of the USB connectors from the case and replace them with some 3.0 connectors and cables if they were available to purchase. I'll have to look online for them. But the case has two 3.5" front panel bays and three 5.25" front panel bays, so there is plenty of room to install the IO Crest panel and this might well be the easiest solution.

I very much appreciate your taking the time to answer these queries and send me all of this extra information. It has definitely been helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users