Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configure Conky System Monitor

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

I would really like to be able to pull of some of these file system changes.  Sometimes I can do it and sometimes Nothing!  Don't know what I am doing wrong.  Tried to Configure Conky with Al000's instructions but nothing.   

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567477/how-to-install-and-configure-conky-system-monitor/  

One thing I am confused about is my Home Files, don't know if these are by default or if I created them by accident.  Notice the .conkyrc.save file, don't know if I made that or not?  Please help, I feel crippled because I cannot do these things LOL.

e5ymJvW.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

Most of those are system created files. The ".bashrc" for example, is a file to config your bash shell. Conky probably made the .conkyrc.save file on install.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 20 October 2015 - 08:10 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

I see, I think I will take a look at this in a LiveDVD session and see for sure.

.conkyrc.save, I was mucking about with these files LOL, no telling what I have done - O-boy?

I noticed that .conkyrc.save was different that what was in the conky file in the file system, forgot what it was called and getting tired.  Will revisit tomorrow, thanks! got to get this file editing down.  Even tried it in Kate etc. many different ways.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:24 AM

I've never heard of .conkyrc.save, but you don't seem to have a .conkyrc file there, so perhaps you inadvertently renamed the .conkyrc file as .conkyrc.save.

I would try renaming the .conkyrc.save file as .conkyrc

mv .conkyrc.save .conkyrc

I noticed that .conkyrc.save was different that what was in the conky file in the file system, forgot what it was called

That will probably be Conky's global configuration file at /etc/conky/conky.conf. .conkyrc is supposed to be different, or there would be no point in having the file.

Edited by Al1000, 21 October 2015 - 03:25 AM.

#5 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

One thing I am confused about is my Home Files, don't know if these are by default or if I created them by accident.  Notice the .conkyrc.save file, don't know if I made that or not?  Please help, I feel crippled because I cannot do these things LOL.

e5ymJvW.png

​Those files with .save extension are created by nano editor when it is unexpectedly closed (closing terminal while nano is open...) The .save files are a copy of the buffer.

​You can safely delete them.

Edited by nuna, 21 October 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

That's interesting. I didn't know nano did that.

PC, if you have any other problems with nano, see: How to edit a file using nano text editor

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

e5ymJvW.png

​Those files with .save extension are created by nano editor when it is unexpectedly closed (closing terminal while nano is open...) The .save files are a copy of the buffer.

​You can safely delete them.

That makes perfect sense! thanks again nuna.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:01 PM

Deleted all save files and got conky working.

I can't seem to get it to go where I want it.  I tried "alignment top_center" because "alignment top_right" was not a good place for it.  I did this in Kate KDE Editor.

Also, what happens if I don't create the conkystartup, will it start up is this going to act the same as the default, as far as No Start Up upon pc start up?

I'm not clear on weather this is always running or not.  I guess the new .conkyrc file is going to start-up right away, but the default had a delay like Al000 suggested making for the new conkystartup file?

Edit: I created the conkystart file! all good so far.

Edited by pcpunk, 21 October 2015 - 08:24 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:23 AM

I can't seem to get it to go where I want it.

I use alignment top_left then adjust the gap_x and gap_y settings to get it exactly where I want it.

From my .conkyc file:

gap_x 950

gap_y 110

I tried "alignment top_center"

That's not a Conky setting, try alignment top_middle, or alignment tm. Which conky did you install? If conky-all, see /usr/share/doc/conky-all/config_settings.html for more details.

firefox /usr/share/doc/conky-all/config_settings.html

Edited by Al1000, 22 October 2015 - 02:44 AM.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

Thanks!  I have conky-all.  Got it where I want it for the most part but there is a lot to learn!  Very Nice!

Edited by pcpunk, 22 October 2015 - 10:46 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

Al000, how should I keep my new file as a backup?  Right now I am just saving it to a Word .doc, is that appropriate for this kind of text?

Edited by pcpunk, 22 October 2015 - 01:53 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:05 AM

Nothing wrong with keeping it in a Word doc, but it's more than you need. I would be inclined to make a back-up copy in a directory (that you are the owner of) on another partition using the cp command. That's what I used to do, although I recently backed up my entire user's home directory on another partition using rsync from a Puppy cd.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

Interesting, okay.

Was wondering if I should save it as a Text file?  I noticed when I am in a Folder - if I right click - I get the option to save as a Text file or something to that affect (sorry I am in Windows now) and it would open in a Text file by default.  Would this be a better way to save it as long as it is not in "Home" Folder?

If I save it into a Named Folder in my "Doccuments" Folder than that would be on another Partition because my Home is seperate from Root right?  It's not a super important document you know.  O-yeah, I am out of partitions lol,  my drive is only 80GB and is pretty full.

If you have time, I am insterested in a short explanation as to why this file is used before the Default of conky-all file, is it because it is in "Home" folder? or is it some script in the file itself?  Thanks again Al!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

Was wondering if I should save it as a Text file? I noticed when I am in a Folder - if I right click - I get the option to save as a Text file or something to that affect (sorry I am in Windows now) and it would open in a Text file by default. Would this be a better way to save it as long as it is not in "Home" Folder?

That would be the same as saving it as a file that you create in a terminal, so yes, I would save it that way. You can then use any basic text reader or editor to read the file, such as gedit, nano, less or whatever.

If I save it into a Named Folder in my "Doccuments" Folder than that would be on another Partition because my Home is seperate from Root right?

Isn't Documents in your user's home directory? If so it's probably on the same partition, but as you say it's not a particularly important file, so it doesn't really matter where you back it up.

It's not a super important document you know. O-yeah, I am out of partitions lol, my drive is only 80GB and is pretty full.

All the more reason to create text files instead of Word documents, when all you need is a text file. :)

If you have time, I am insterested in a short explanation as to why this file is used before the Default of conky-all file, is it because it is in "Home" folder? or is it some script in the file itself? Thanks again Al!

/etc contains a lot of "global" configuration files. Different users on a multi-user operating system could be using different desktops, and not all conky scripts work on all desktops, but the script in Conky's global configuration file /etc/conky/conky.conf, which produces the basic black and white flickery display, should work on them all.

Also note that the conky startup script is put in the user's home directory. So if you logged in as your normal user, conky would start, and your Conky display would be according to the script in your ~/.conkyrc file.

Whereas if you logged in as another user, the only conky script you would have access to is the one in /etc/conky/conky.conf, so the only Conky display you would be able to have is the basic black and white flickery one.

The other difference is that you need root permissions to be able to edit the /etc/conky/conky.conf file because it's in /etc, whereas you don't to edit your ~/.conkyrc file because it's in your own user's home directory.

The only operating system in which I don't see the point of using a .conkyrc file is Puppy, because it's not a multi-user operating system, and you run as root all the time anyway. So with Puppy I would just backup the /etc/conky/conky.conf file, then edit the original instead of creating a .conkyrc file.

Edited by Al1000, 24 October 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

Interesting thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh