Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nasty Virus or hard drive going bad...need assistance

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 chucksno

chucksno

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

I have battled viruses in the past but nothing this severe or something else going on?  Norton is shut off, chrome will not access the web and I cannot get the USB  to recognize the thumb drive, etc etc.  Some things work others are rendered useless.  have tried to run several malware type programs which will not run.  Earlier hijack this runs came up with nothing.   More info available if someone is willing to help...thanks much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

Are you able to "force" F12 [to chose DVD or USB boot]?  If you have UEFI/Secure boot and not BIOS/legacy boot, then you will need to await BC regulars who can help you.  As a customer - I remember something about getting into UEFI, disabling SecureBoot, turning LegacyBoot on, and hopefully being able to then boot either your DVD or USB boot devices.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

I was not able to force a choice to boot, thanks for checking.  As you mentioned may have to wait for the BC regular.  Thx again

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hi chucksno :)

My name is Aura and I would like to give a shot at your issue if I may. We'll start by getting more information on your system using MiniToolBox. Follow the instructions below please.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Check the following options:
    • Flush DNS;
    • Report IE Proxy Settings;
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings;
    • Report FF Proxy Settings;
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings;
    • List content of Hosts;
    • List IP Configuration;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size;
      B8oLpa3.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

Hi Aura thanks much for the reply, it seems to be in worse shape than advertised as I cannot access chrome explorer etc and I am currently working off a 2nd computer my laptop to correspond.  I downloaded mini toolbox on a thumb drive but the desktop computer is not recognizing it.  It is an ASUS around 4 years old.   I do have an VPN connection from the desktop into work and its giving me no trouble.  I am considering a complete hard drive format and upgrade to win 10 which is popping up in my bottom tray.  if I choose that direction I may need some assistance not sure?  I was hit 2 years ago with a windows essential type virus and I am wondering if the dormant stuff reared its ugly head?  Sorry let me know your thoughts and again greatly appreciated!

chuck

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

Can you get into UEFI?  Or, does it have BIOS?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

If you decide to upgrade to Windows 10 right now (without the format), it'll upgrade your system completely so the issues you are currently experiencing now shouldn't be present after the upgrade.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hi Aura,

So you are saying with the upgrade to 10 there isn't a need to reformat the harddrive in order to completely eradicate any existing/active virus issues?

#9 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

Roland I am trying several methods and cant quite determine this.  in system summary it says Bios Version date:  american megatrends inc 0309 3/8/11

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

Roland I am trying several methods and cant quite determine this.  in system summary it says Bios Version date:  american megatrends inc 0309 3/8/11

Ok, good!  Follow whatever Aura tells you to do!  He won't steer you wrong  :)

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hi Aura,
So you are saying with the upgrade to 10 there isn't a need to reformat the harddrive in order to completely eradicate any existing/active virus issues?

No, we might still need to investigate the malware issues after, however most of it will be taken care of and most of your issues will be solved assuming that they weren't caused by malware.

unite_blue.png

#12 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Ok so this would be the direction you would recommend over the reformat?  The one thing I am leery of is if my machine will actually be able access the link from windows 10 to pull this off.  I will move this direction upon your feedback...thx

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

You can either do a clean install and upgrade to Windows 10, or upgrade directly to Windows 10. If the upgrade doesn't work right away, then maybe doing a clean install and then upgrading to Windows 10 after will be faster.

unite_blue.png

#14 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

Tried to update to windows 10 it went super slow not really even working 12 hours later said windows 10 could not be installed error 80242007 window encountered an unknown error..Could this be a bad hard drive?  or virus...frustrating...thx again for any help

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

We can run a test to see if your hard drive is failing.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:
  • Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop;
  • Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe;
  • Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name);
  • Go in the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete);
  • Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your next reply;
  • Also, go in the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply);
    info_failing.png

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users