Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

Hello all and sorry if this is in the wrong section.  

Here is my problem.  I have created a .bat file to install adobe flash player, they are .msi's (I am installing the plug-in plus the active-x).

@echo off
msiexec /i %userprofile%\desktop\installers\flash\install_flash_player_19_active_x.msi /qn
echo
msiexec /i %userprofile%\desktop\installers\flash\install_flash_player_19_plugin.msi /qn
echo
exit
Here is what I have created, they do not work because they need interaction.  I have taken the /qn off to make them not silent, and they work.  I need to be able to have this automatic, I do not want to have any interaction with installing them, I just want to start my .bat file and away it goes!  This is also a part of another .bat file that I am calling this one in from.  I have a long list of things I need to install on a freshly imaged machine.

If there is something that I am missing please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Jokerz

utl8q0-5.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

Hi,

According to the Flash Payer Administration Guide it should work.

To be safe enclose the paths with quotes like this:

msiexec /i "%userprofile%\desktop\installers\flash\install_flash_player_19_active_x.msi" /qn

User names can have spaces...

Make sure you run the batch file as Administrator or the install will fail.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

I'd like to learn!  What do the batchfiles do that the automatic install choice does not do?

Oh, would they be for on-demand installs on several computers?  If so, I understand now.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:09 AM

I'd like to learn!  What do the batchfiles do that the automatic install choice does not do?

Oh, would they be for on-demand installs on several computers?  If so, I understand now.

Usually to do the deployment to several machines without user intervention.

There isn't automatic install that I know of, and in the particular case of Adobe Reader the updates will not install automatically the user have to confirm and only members of the Administrators group can upgrade...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 TheJokerz

TheJokerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:36 AM

Hi,

According to the Flash Payer Administration Guide it should work.

To be safe enclose the paths with quotes like this:

msiexec /i "%userprofile%\desktop\installers\flash\install_flash_player_19_active_x.msi" /qn

User names can have spaces...

Make sure you run the batch file as Administrator or the install will fail.

Thanks for the response I will give the "" a try and see if that helps!

Tried with the quotes and still nothing, the batch launches and then immediately closes.  Still tried without the /qn and it works, is there a way to suppress the dialog box?

Edited by TheJokerz, 21 October 2015 - 07:40 AM.

utl8q0-5.png

#6 TheJokerz

TheJokerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

I figured it out, I was forgetting the /qb after the msiexec so it should look like this,

msiexec /qb /i %userprofile%\desktop\installers\flash\install_flash_player_19_active_x.msi /qn
echo
msiexec /qb /i %userprofile%\desktop\installers\flash\install_flash_player_19_plugin.msi /qn

Thanks for your help!

utl8q0-5.png

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

Hi,

Just tested on Windows 7 and it works for me using the MSI from this page.

The /qn switch runs a silent install it doesn't show anything if you use /qb instead it will show the progress window.

___
Rui

#8 TheJokerz

TheJokerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hi,

Just tested on Windows 7 and it works for me using the MSI from this page.

The /qn switch runs a silent install it doesn't show anything if you use /qb instead it will show the progress window.

I am not sure it was not working for me.  It might have something to do with the domain that I am on, there might be something stopping me there?  However the /qb worked for me, I tested it on several computers.  I seem to remember that working for me in the past I could not remember what it was tho.

Thanks

utl8q0-5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users