Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

I have two PC’s I want to upgrade to Windows 7.  I have run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on both PC’s.  The results for both is that they could run Windows 7 64 bit.  I am shopping for Windows 7 on eBay and need help picking the right version.

I am going to start with an HP Compac nc6400 laptop running XP 32 bit (not sure if XP had a 64 bit version).  I got this PC from a business where my son used to work.  I would like to take it to 64 bit if I could.  One question I have is can I use Windows 7 Upgrade on this PC since it is likely to have an OEM version of XP installed or do I need a Full version.  Is there any problem moving it to a 64 bit since it is 32 bit XP now?  Is there anything I have to do special to move it to 64 bit?

The other is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop running Vista Home Premium 32 bit.  I am pretty sure undecided whether to move this to Windows 7 64 bit or keep it at 32 bit.  What would be your advice?  I thought I saw you cannot upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit.  Is this true?  Can I use a Windows 7 64 bit Upgrade disk but do a clean install and then reinstall programs and restore data?  Or do I need a Full version of Windows 7 if I want to get to 64 bit? 

I appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

If the hardware/mobo is 32bit, you can only place a 32bit OS on it.  Windows 7 32-bit will do nicely.  Whatever you buy, ensure you get a product key that can be validated and authenticated; maybe best if you purchase Install, not simply upgrade.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

FWIW:  Every CPU since Pentium 4s...are almost always 64-bit.  Some Pentium Celerons are 64-bit and each of these 64-bit systems can run both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

People mis-conceive this every day.  Unless you have a very old system

The nc6400 has dual-core CPU...it appears that the Inspiron 530s also has dual-core.  Either should have no problem with either a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows up to Win 7, IMO.

If you ran the Windows Upgrade Advisor...that should have been enough of an advisement, IMO.

Louis

#4 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

Thank you for your responses.  

I feel comfortable I could run 64 bit on either PC. 

So what what is my path to getting there?  Can I get by with an 64 bit upgrade version for the laptop given it is 32 bit and probably an OEM XP install?

I guess I have the same question for the desktop.  Can I upgrade it with a 64 bit upgrade version?  If not can I upgrade it to a 32 bit version, then upgrade the 32 bit Windows 7 to a 64 bit Windows 64?

Thanks

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:18 PM

Each version of 7 has different features, you can Google the variations to help you decide what you need.  Ram is another consideration 64 bit will allow you to use more than 4 gigs of ram, 4 may be all you need depending on what you use the machines for.  Many go for more than what they need, take a little time to see what suits you.

Personally I would pull a the files, photos etc to a USB stick then do a clean install, upgrades many times bring unwanted junk along with them.

Edited by OldPhil, 20 October 2015 - 08:22 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

Louis, thanks for helping me understand better!  It's the proc, not the mobo, again thanks!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:50 AM

I knew when I said "version" I knew I was asking for trouble.  I know I want Windows 7 Home Premium version.  

My question is really what install disk to buy.  I know I don't want OEM.  Can I use Update disk or do I have to buy a Full disk in order to move from 32 bit XP laptop and Vista desktop to 64 bit PCs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users