Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning a complete image of my system

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

If I was to make a complete image of my system warts and all. What would be the best way to create it?

The media creation tool kit or something else? I think somebody may want to look at the whole thing especially the warts.
Thank you.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

I use two pay-fors:  Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect Pro [pro has dynamic disk support & a much easier to make USB or DVD WinPE-Macrium boot].  However, there are many freebies out there that will make a full OS-image, full HD image, and so on.  And, there are some other pay-fors out there as well.  What you want is entirely possible and a good idea.  I recommend you making images on two external HDs - 'cause sometimes things can happen.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 October 2015 - 12:18 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

I've heard good things about Macrium but I have not used it. I know many users have problems using Windows System Image, but I have not had significant problems.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

Roland has some good recommendations for pay-for software. There is also Clonezilla, a popular free imaging software. It is a little more complicated because it is entirely command line, no GUI, just typing.

Macrium also makes a free version of their software which might be sophisticated enough for you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

I know many users have problems using Windows System Image, but I have not had significant problems.

I'm wondering if the more Windows is nonStandard in overall configuration, the more likely are problems from Windows System Image; conversely, the more standard in overall configuration Windows is, the less likely are problems from Windows System Image.  Did I guess somewhat rightly?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

It's hard to say. As an example, there have been occasions where an Anti-Virus update improperly locks files Windows System Image needs to work with even with the Anti-Virus is disabled. The only way to resolve it was to uninstall the Anti-Virus, do the Windows System Image, and re-install the Anti-Virus. It really depends on a lot of things.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

There are a lot of products that say they will do what you're looking for but most are a little quirky.  When I generate a system, from an original WIN7 disk, I  use a new, clean drive to replace the original, then reinstall the original and add the new one as a second drive/slave.  Then move all files over and reinstall any programs essential to restoration of a system.  Once generated, it can be removed and keep in a cool, dark space.  I find the easiest approach to back ups is to use the incremental process where once the main body is built, only small differential and added programs are added to the original set on whatever weekly/monthly basis you choose.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:19 PM

I think Roland has hit it on the head. That is something I have been wondering myself. Since I have altered my system so much from Microsoft's built in configueration, If that may be why none of the tools work for me with this issue and if it may be the whole cause of my issue.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users