Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would cause a Windows 7 to suddenly expire passwords?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowz85

Shadowz85

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I have a computer that I am working with that just prompted a user to change the password. The computer runs Vipre for antivirus protection and is under contract, so I will be calling them shortly. However, this happened about two months ago and when I asked them about it, they didn't seem interested in pursuing it, because all antivirus scans were coming up clean.

It is Windows 7 Professional. The default setting is to never expire the passwords. There are six profiles on this computer. When I look at those profiles under local user management module, three show that they were set to force the user to change password on the next login.

I have run Malwarebytes, Eset online scanner and the Vipre scan and they are all coming up clean. Aside from this unusual change, everything is behaving normally. 

Previous to the first time this happened, the computer has been running about a year without any unusual behavior.

Thanks for any advice or observations you may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadowz85

Shadowz85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

Oh yes, one more thing that is unusual. The Vipre icon that normally shows in the taskbar is missing. However, from the Vipre admin console, it is reporting all is normal. I can issue commands (like apply patches, run a scan) and it can do it. But normally, at the workstation, I could launch Vipre from the taskbar and run a scan.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

Is this computer on a business network?  If so, IT can "push" a password policy change.  How they do that, I don't know.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Shadowz85

Shadowz85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

It is on a peer to peer network and aside from the antivirus that is centrally managed, the logins are all managed locally.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

Oh yes, one more thing that is unusual. The Vipre icon that normally shows in the taskbar is missing. However, from the Vipre admin console, it is reporting all is normal. I can issue commands (like apply patches, run a scan) and it can do it. But normally, at the workstation, I could launch Vipre from the taskbar and run a scan.

That does not necessarily mean anything. Icons disappear all the time from the taskbar, sometimes it is a bug in the program, other times it is windows being windows.

Is this computer on a business network?  If so, IT can "push" a password policy change.  How they do that, I don't know.

Seems likely to me. People often forget their passwords expire every 120-180 days depending on the business's policy towards passwords.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/73210-password-expiration-enable-disable.html

Sevenforums's Brink has a good article that explains exactly how password expiration can be enabled and disabled, from within Windows 7.

Here's the batchfile information:

Brink, W7f, how to disable, enable single acct password expiration, and for all users
place them into separate batchfiles if/when needed
wmic path Win32_UserAccount where Name='username' set PasswordExpires=true
wmic path Win32_UserAccount where Name='username' set PasswordExpires=false
wmic path Win32_UserAccount set PasswordExpires=True
wmic path Win32_UserAccount set PasswordExpires=False

Edited by RolandJS, 20 October 2015 - 12:51 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Shadowz85

Shadowz85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:47 PM

Unfortunately, in this environment, the users are not required to change their passwords. I thought it unusual that only three of the profiles were changed. However, the difference is, the three that stayed the same were the original profiles from the day the workstation was put into service. The three that expired are ones that were added a few months later.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

...added a few months later... ahhhhhh, the change made by ITsomebody as s/he performed the netStationDownload.

#9 Shadowz85

Shadowz85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:02 PM

Thank you Roland for that link. I used that originally to look at the settings for those profiles. I have set the three profiles (only one of the six are actually used actively) back to the original settings of "never expire."

Okay, so I do believe today was not a new issue. When I look at the last time this happened, it is approximately the 42 days that is the default to expire the password. When I was working on that computer originally, I ran all the antivirus software, but I never changed the setting back (like I did today). So it isn't like whatever changed it back in September is happening again. It is just leftover from that incident.

Okay, so I won't worry about today's prompt.

Thanks for you help; I am still open to anybody's experience with this situation. In twenty years, I have never seen anything happen like this. I did a search for expiring passwords, but I guess I didn't get the right search term because nothing came up about passwords spontaneously changing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users