Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning up a dusty laptop...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 RJNB

RJNB

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

Hello,

I have a laptop-HP nx6110(and the other details are in the speccy link in my signature) and it has been overheating frequently with motherboard temperatures shooting up to 64 degrees Celsius in about an hour or so...I had recently removed the keyboard and blown some dust away but was unable to clean the fan, which looked as if it had been buried in dust...I tried blowing onto it with a toothpick touching a blade to keep it from spinning but the dust was really stubborn and did not blow away...So, how to clean it up?

After that, I put it back, ensuring that no wires had been disturbed and put the screws back in place and booted... However, the mouse suddenly stopped working and the machine rebooted...After that, I checked speccy again and it gave me the error-CPU init dll failed. Some information will not be displayed(error2). Any ideas why this happened and could this happen again?

And the guide I referred to in order to take out the keyboard has been attached...Attached File  hp compaq nx6110 nc6110 nx6120 nc6120.pdf   4.73MB   1 downloads

Thanks

RJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

Cleaning out dust while the system is on and running is a bad idea.  A CPU will overheat very quickly if the heat sync fan is stopped even momentarily.  As for cleaning out the stubborn dust, I like to use MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) cleaner which you can get a can of at the auto parts store.  It leaves very little residue behind and is really good at breaking up crusty build up and dust.  I would guess that you caused an error due to working inside with it powered on.  If everything works now, it was probably just a temporary glitch caused by shorting something out (and over-currenting the fan by stopping it with voltage applied).

#3 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hello,

First of all, I am very very sorry for not supplying one vital piece of information.... :bowdown:I forgot to mention that I completely shut down the laptop and also drained out any remaining power out by removing the battery and pressing the power button a couple of times...

Secondly, I think I would not get anything like a 'Mass airflow sensor' anywhere in the place where I reside(I have never even heard of it though I have a automobile repair and parts store just below my balcony)...So, is there any other way??

Thanks and sorry again...

RJ

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

Something may be grounding out somewhere...either re-assemble or let a local laptop fixit place put it together and test for you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

Hello,

What exactly do you mean by grounding out? Do you mean that electricity is being drained somewhere? If that is what you meant, then I doubt that would be the case since the laptop works fine now, the fan is also working and the temperature of the motherboard is 55 degrees Celsius currently and I do not even see any errors...So, what exactly could be the result of 'grounding out somewhere' is what I do not understand...

I could take the laptop to a repair shop-I have two of them nearby but I cannot trust them entirely with the task. The reason is that they are not honest people(honesty is surely scarce the world)...One of them had told me, about 4 or 5 years ago that this laptop would crash within two years and he recommended a format(I have no clue how it would prevent it from dying);but we decided to leave it as it was. The other one cheated me by replacing a genuine install of Windows XP on my other laptop with a counterfeit one...So, that is why I cannot trust them with this...(And sorry for being a bit off topic here, but I wanted to give reasons for my statement)

So, that is why I would prefer doing it myself, with your help of course, if possible...If not then I will have to look for other shops around which will be time-consuming...

Thanks

RJ

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

As for cleaning out the stubborn dust, I like to use MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) cleaner which you can get a can of at the auto parts store.  

I would strongly suggest not using this product to clean any computer parts.  If you read the list of chemicals used in this product you would find that 80 - 90% of this product is Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light.  This is a ether based chemical.  It is highly flammable.  Repeated exposure to this product can result in organ damage. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

Disregard my earlier "grounding out," since the laptop now works fine -- there is no grounding out.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

@RJMB

You have a very small hdd (40GB).  The C: drive partition is only 28.8GB, of that you only 8% free space.  A hdd of this size should have at least 15% free space.  You also may have damaged the CPU by allowing it to overheat.

But your biggest problem is the fact that Windows XP is no longer supported.  One of the big problems with a unsupported Windows operating system is the vulnerability to being infected or worse.  Before investing any more money in this computer I would seriously consider moving on to a new or newer computer with at least Vista installed.  If it was my choice I would go with a computer with Windows 7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Hello,

@RJMB

You have a very small hdd (40GB).  The C: drive partition is only 28.8GB, of that you only 8% free space.  A hdd of this size should have at least 15% free space.  You also may have damaged the CPU by allowing it to overheat.

But your biggest problem is the fact that Windows XP is no longer supported.  One of the big problems with a unsupported Windows operating system is the vulnerability to being infected or worse.  Before investing any more money in this computer I would seriously consider moving on to a new or newer computer with at least Vista installed.  If it was my choice I would go with a computer with Windows 7.

Where did you get 8% from?? I see 29% free on C: drive... Both in the speccy snapshot in my signature and also in disk defragmenter...

And although I am running XP, I am also running active anti-virus protection along with malwarebytes free version(to scan whenever I want)... Plus, I have firewall on and Microsoft continues to provide me malicious software removal tool(I have no clue why)...If you see the specs, my laptop would be barely able to run Windows 7 and it would be way slower that XP....Vista is out of question... I am also trying currently to install linux MINT on an external hdd and it is being discussed in the linux forum...

I also have another laptop which runs Windows 7 but this laptop has never ever crashed and the hdd has never been erased and the OS has never been reinstalled while the other laptop has been formatted atleast 4 times and has a history of crashing and several such issues...This laptop is the only stable laptop in my possession and I am going to run it for long...

And is there any way to find out if the CPU is damaged(without physically checking)?I doubt that the CPU might have been damaged but still...

Sorry to be so off-topic as I think I have been...

Thanks for the quick responses...

RJ

Edited by RJNB, 20 October 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:12 AM

"... I would go with a computer with Windows 7..."  +1!  I have 3 computers using tru-blue Windows 7 Pro.  I'm keeping 'em for along long time.  But, back to the topic:  RJNB, is the laptop working well enough?  If so, dc3 has some great ideas for you to consider.  Lend him your ears & eyes.  I see RJNB and I posted at the same time.

addendum:  RJNB, I think dc3 was suggesting an eventual laptop replacement, a new one that would run W7.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 October 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#11 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

As for cleaning out the stubborn dust, I like to use MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) cleaner which you can get a can of at the auto parts store.  

I would strongly suggest not using this product to clean any computer parts.  If you read the list of chemicals used in this product you would find that 80 - 90% of this product is Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light.  This is a ether based chemical.  It is highly flammable.  Repeated exposure to this product can result in organ damage. 

Of course you'd want to do this outside or in a well ventilated area.  I wasn't suggesting breathing it in, only that it can work really well for breaking up those really build up gooey dust balls.

Also the one I use, which is the most common brand here, doesn't contain that.  It uses hexane isomers instead of Naphtha, which is far less toxic to humans.

#12 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:25 AM

Hello,

I know that I must get another laptop but I want to stick to this one till its death-if you search for the topics 'slow windows xp laptop' and 'tuning up a windows xp laptop' in the XP forums, you will see that we have worked a lot to keep this machine well in shape and I do not want it all to go waste, so I am being so stubborn and reluctant regarding getting a new one to replace this one-it will be like our defeat;and I do not like to be defeated without performing my best...

Yes, the laptop is running well now, just as it was...

EDIT: I respect you and your suggestion DataMedic, but sorry I cannot like I said earlier...

Thanks

RJ

Edited by RJNB, 20 October 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

"...Yes, the laptop is running well now, just as it was..."  excellent!  Continue onward  :)

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:48 AM

Yes, the laptop is running well now, just as it was...

RJ, great to hear, I knew you'd get more opinions in the Hardware section & you have. 

Glad that your notebook is now running normally again, however the issue we discussed prior, in regards to cleaning up the heatsink well & reapplying of thermal paste, will make it run cooler & last longer. You've stated in 2 other Topics other than this one, you want the notebook to run as long as possible (basically until the wheels fall off). If this is true, you'll have to do the repasting job, since 2007 when I began doing my own work, I've never left thermal paste on for more than 5 years & now use Arctic MX-4. 

My main PC is just two years old & I'm already considering repasting mine because the i7-4770 CPU used to run between 28-30C, now runs at 32-36C after hours of use. Since the stock thermal paste (or pre-applied pad) is lower quality than the MX-4, probably needs replacement. I catch these deals when on promo for at least 50% off, so it's not a huge expense. Since I'm going to be upgrading to a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD & removing the two smaller ones listed in my Speccy specs & placing these elsewhere, this is a perfect time to do it all. Will clean up the CPU & fan surface with 91% alcohol that I use for these things, and take the CPU fan outdoors & use an air duster to blow the fins out good in all directions. By then, all will be dry, but will check anyway, and apply a small bead, about the size of a pea or rolled oat, and when placing the CPU cooler back on, once aligned, will give a gentle twist to spread the paste & tighten the 4 screws, in a rotating pattern, in about 4-5 stages. 

While it needs to be good & snug, at the same time, doesn't need to be torqued like a set of rims on a vehicle, this is how a lot of components becomes unintentionally damaged. I have some of the thread material (a tiny drop per screw is plenty), this holds these snugly in place to prevent vibration and eventually needed attention, and you likely noticed some on the ends of your screws. 

If you're going to be working on a computer, having the things you need are good, and why I always buy when on promo. Have part of an open tube of MX-4, and not realizing that I already had an extra, now have 2 unopened tubes. Yet it won't go wasted, as there's two notebooks that likely needs cleaning in front of me, in addition to the main PC. 

Good Luck with the computer! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

I had recently removed the keyboard and blown some dust away but was unable to clean the fan, which looked as if it had been buried in dust...I tried blowing onto it with a toothpick touching a blade to keep it from spinning but the dust was really stubborn and did not blow away...So, how to clean it up?

If you disassembled this notebook to the point that the fan is accessible I would suggest removing the two screws holding the fan in place, unplug the power cable from the motherboard and remove the fan.  This way you can use a canned duster (often incorrectly referred to as canned air) to blow out the fan from both sides.  If it is still not blowing out you may need to use a Q-tip to clean out the dust.  If you don't get this clean the notebook will continue to overheat.  Changing the thermal compound will not make any difference if the fan isn't cleaned. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users