Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 "no opt-out" updates started

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

https://thehackernews.com/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade.html

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:48 AM

This has already been discussed at length in these parts.  Search for the link you posted and you'll find the threads.

MS claims that this was an error and has already removed the update that behaved in this manner.  I never experienced it personally but had updated the machines I wanted to update to Windows 10 before it occurred.  I have not had this pop up on either the Win7 or Win8.1 machines I have chosen not to update.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

Yeah, it happened to a client of mine but before this latest 'mistake'.  In her case it was two machines and happened on 9/28 due to that infernal KB 3035583 popping up on her systemtray.  Fortunately she was savvy enough to back up first, but it took two days to revert properly back, the horrid windows.old file didn't do the job.  Of course, now that she reverted, the problem will just keep going.

I didn't have time to warn her.  I don't do computer stuff for a living, but pension plans, but even so I feel responsible.  I told her to turn updates OFF, and am doing that with all clients.  You can't afford to even CHECK for updates unless you cloned first and do the check manually, anymore.  This pre-ticked 'optional' ruse will recur, but as 'important' or I bet even as 'security'.  They are getting more and more aggressive each time.

Am thinking of providing my clients' data to them on bootable, pre-configured Linux installation sticks, instead of the usual email.  So they can just plug in, boot up, copy off the pdf files to their Windows or Macs, and then have a spare Linux alternative so they won't have to update Win7 anymore.  With XP that's already a better option, but Win7 still is supposed to receive patches.  However, this Win10 thingy STOPS the Win7 patches, so why not just turn WU off.

MSFT has no idea what damage it's doing.  It's as if seedpod people run the company.

Edited by brainout, 20 October 2015 - 09:01 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

The amount of breathless hyperbole from certain members of this community has become a real amusement to watch.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

Ok, thanks guys. I know about all the flack with M/Soft and their updates, I thought this was something new.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:36 PM

Ok, thanks guys. I know about all the flack with M/Soft and their updates, I thought this was something new.

[wrong quote used, deleted by rjs]

Edited by RolandJS, 20 October 2015 - 03:17 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:59 PM

https://thehackernews.com/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade.html

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Hey there ranchhand_, I'm not anxious to contribute to the din but I used this a few days ago on 2 Win 7 machines (Home Premium) and haven't had any problem with any updates since then.

I've done my fair share of griping (mea culpa, mea culpa) but also wanted to offer up something positive if/when I found it.

Hope it helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

The amount of breathless hyperbole from certain members of this community has become a real amusement to watch.

NotebookReview's forum has a thread that, just like BC has been doing, fully discusses Telemetry and Windows 10 snafu. And, there are some suggestions for fixing the problems, and for keeping current.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 October 2015 - 03:23 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

NotebookReview's forum has a thread that, just like BC has been doing, fully discusses Telemetry and Windows 10 snafu. And, there are some suggestions for fixing the problems, and for keeping current.

Wow, there is some serious information over there as well as some angry MS users.

Thanks for the heads up.

Winterland

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

@RolandJS, yes thank you.  I've been there for 2 years but never expected Win10 info.  Thought it was just about hardware.

They have polls which show only 27% keeping Windows 10, here.  If typical, it explains why there's no Win10 opt-out given, why this topic has to exist in the first place: if typical, nearly everyone got their chance to adopt, already.  Fascinating breakdown.

Edited by brainout, 20 October 2015 - 07:51 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

Thanks to all again for the input.  I am heartily in agreement. I also have an observation which is strictly IMHO; M/Soft is casting covetous eyes at Apple, which specializes in serving totally clueless users who flock to their stores for every little problem they have with their computers and i-thingys. Apple computer users, with the exception of a few, are totally unaware of whether Apple is monitoring them, tracking them, etc. and really don't care. 

There is no way that M/Soft is ever going to convert to a huge Apple Corp. with millions of unquestioning paying customer. M/Soft has millions of IT-savvy users who are always going to react just as they have already and that is not going to change. If we wanted to run Apple, we would. We want the freedom to tweak, add, convert and configure our apps and keep our security. Why? Because we have a lot to lose! Apple boasts security and few instances of virus infections, but that is because they are a minor game-player in the overall business application and enterprise fields which are the money-makers for Microsoft. Hackers and script-kiddies write for Windows because that is where the money is. Foreign governments attempt to hack into industry for tech information, and government agencies for espionage. Apple is not concerned with these domains.

For the last 15 years I don't get a feeling of stability or objective purpose with Microsoft. They are striking out blindly, forgetting who their users are. One man's opinion.

Edited by ranchhand_, 21 October 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

You state the case extraordinarily well.  I hadn't thought of that before.  30+ years ago MSFT was obsessed with Apple and it remains.  Now I get it.  I've always been a Windows Junkie, but never understood the preoccupation with Apple.

So to try and turn Win10 into a Phone OS, even mimicking in Paragraph 3 of aka.ms/msa the lame clause in the iTunes license that you won't use your iTunes to make nuclear bombs (makeuseof had that article, here;  actual Apple license is here, search on 'nuclear' and prepare to guffaw).  Except, Paragraph 3 goes much farther.  To best Apple?  Wow.  What a fixation.

And it shows, even now:  all that nonsense with phones so late in the game, tablet, now Win10's needless Cortana, Hello, Hololens, Xbox, the move to Microsoft Stores, making its own hardware.  Goliath wants to be David, wants to abandon the other Philistine hoplites which fed it and go with the Israelites who won't.  Why?  Means Goliath, is immature.  So David will fell it.

Again, thank you for stating the case so well.

Thanks to all again for the input.  I am heartily in agreement. I also have an observation which is strictly IMHO; M/Soft is casting covetous eyes at Apple, which specializes in serving totally clueless users who flock to their stores for every little problem they have with their computers and i-thingys. Apple computer users, with the exception of a few, are totally unaware of whether Apple is monitoring them, tracking them, etc. and really don't care. 

There is no way that M/Soft is ever going to convert to a huge Apple Corp. with millions of unquestioning paying customer. M/Soft has millions of IT-savvy users who are always going to react just as they have already and that is not going to change. If we wanted to run Apple, we would. We want the freedom to tweak, add, convert and configure our apps and keep our security. Why? Because we have a lot to lose! Apple boasts security and few instances of virus infections, but that is because they are a minor game-player in the overall business application and enterprise fields which are the money-makers for Microsoft. Hackers and script-kiddies write for Windows because that is where the money is. Foreign governments attempt to hack into industry for tech information, and government agencies for espionage. Apple is not concerned with these domains.

For the last 15 years I don't get a feeling of stability or objective purpose with Microsoft. They are striking out blindly, forgetting who their users are. One man's opinion.

Edited by brainout, 21 October 2015 - 05:45 PM.

#13 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:02 AM

There is no way that M/Soft is ever going to convert to a huge Apple Corp. with millions of unquestioning paying customer. M/Soft has millions of IT-savvy users who are always going to react just as they have already and that is not going to change. If we wanted to run Apple, we would. We want the freedom to tweak, add, convert and configure our apps and keep our security. Why? Because we have a lot to lose!

+1   

(The underlined / bold text was done by me.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users