Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Ten Wont Start..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JD2015

JD2015

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:02 AM

Windows Ten Wont Start..

I am running Win Ten 64 Pro.

Today i got an error message: Your PC ran into a Problem and needs to Restart. Critical Proccess Died.

I have tried the Recovery things in the Menu that comes up after a Restart but no luck. I even tried a Windows Reset but this did not work.

It is now in loop going round and round when i try to get it to start Windows.

Any thoughts?

Also could i run say Fedora or something from a USB so i can burn some files i dont want to lose to a CD?

Ta smile.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

Yes, use Fedora or another Live OS in order to recover your files.

Is your copy of Windows 10 activated?

Do you have W10 recovery media?

If not, you can create it with these instructions:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you get that done, then try Startup Repair:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JD2015

JD2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

It is activated yes. I have a windows ISO file on a DVD but the recovery thing asks for a specific file in it and i am not sure what the file it requires is.

How can i run Fedora from a CD so i can my files back?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Follow the instructions at the link I provided - it'll tell you how to make recovery media out of the ISO file and a free program (the Media Creation Tool)

You download the appropriate version of the tool and run it - it will take you through the steps to create the media that you need.

As for how to use Fedora - I really don't have a clue (but I know it's possible).

I like to use a Windows based program with a file explorer like program to recover data.  This is one of those programs:  http://www.livecd.com/

Regardless if it's Fedora or the Windows based program - you have to burn an ISO to a disk using a program that will place the files in the correct place on the disk.

The instructions for each one will likely include suggestions for burning ISO files properly (at work we use Roxio, UltraISO and ImgBurn - but there are many other free programs out there)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JD2015

JD2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

I think i have fixed it.

I burned Ubuntu to a DVD. This gives you the option to run from a DVD or install. Running it from the DVD i was able to delete some of the hard disks partion. Then i put in my Windows 64 Pro Iso and did a Custom Reinstall. I deleted all of the disk partions from that to make sure and installed Win Ten again.

The Ubuntu DVD also comes with a burner program so i was able to get my files from the PC first.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

Glad to hear it!  Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users