Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen on Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RandomPersonGuy

RandomPersonGuy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:00 AM

I hope this is the correct area to post this.

Several hours ago, while I was browsing online, a blue screen suddenly appeared with a "There is something wrong with your PC" type message. I have gotten that blue screen a couple times in the past and it always turned out fine, so I didn't think anything of it. I reset my PC, but instead of things working like normal again as it had in the past, I get a black screen that persists even if I leave it on for several hours. I get the "Toshiba" loading screen in the beginning, but then the black screen appears afterwards and nothing else happens. I don't get the log-in prompt or anything like that. No matter how many times I turn the PC off and back on, the black screen comes back.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to just go out and buy a new PC, but at the same time, I absolutely can't afford to be without one, as my livelihood depends on it. I need this PC for work, in additon to there being a lot of stuff on the PC I can't do without, or that I don't want to lose. I've been panicking for hours about this because I don't know what I'm going to do without this PC. I'm at my wit's end.

Does anyone here happen to know what the problem could be, and hopefully how to fix it? Please, I desperately need the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

Lot's of different possibilities here.

What model Toshiba do you have?

What Operating System is on it?

Is this the original operating system, or did you upgrade it?

If you upgraded it, what OS did you upgrad from, how did you upgrade, and about how long ago did you do the upgrade?

While waiting for a reply, you can try these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RandomPersonGuy

RandomPersonGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:29 PM

It uses Windows 8. Or.. 8.1, I think? I haven't done anything to change or alter it.

What are those bootable diagnostic things? If they need to be used on my PC, I can't since, as I said, my PC won't boot up since it gets stuck at a black screen. I have to use a neighbor's PC just to check in and type this. Unfortunately, I can't use their PC to do my work, nor are they always home, so I can't rely on this.

As for the PC's model, I don't know. Is it shown on the sticker on the bottom? It says Satellite C750-A7223. Is that the model?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

That is the model number - unfortunately, Toshiba doesn't have a C750 for sale in the US

Did you purchase this in another country?

Are you sure of the model number?

The bootable diagnostics will work even though you're not able to get into Windows.

On a Toshiba you'll tap F12 repeatedly when the Toshiba splash screen shows up - that'll get you into the boot menu.

If the system came with W8, you'll have to get the UEFI bootable downloads, if it came with W7 you can get the regular downloads

If you don't have a DVD drive, you'll have to make bootable USB drives.

You can also create a bootable installation DVD to get into Startup Repair.

More info on Startup Repair here:  https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html

Edited by usasma, 21 October 2015 - 08:12 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RandomPersonGuy

RandomPersonGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

Ugh. Well, the issue is resolved, I guess. I have no idea what happened, but I guess I accidentally pressed something on the keyboard while I was booting up the PC, and it reinstalled windows or something. It's my own fault for following through with the instructions it gave me after it happened instead of just exiting everything. I guess I just hoped that whatever I did would help fix it. It works now, but I lost absolutely everything. Everything. All my files, programs, folders, links stored in bookmarks. I'm am really, really devastated about this, moreso because it was my own mistake that caused it. 

I also lost my job today, so there's that, too. Though I had a feeling that would happen anyway when I've been unable to do my work for a couple days. Anyway, thank you for trying to help up to this point. I'm sorry I screwed everything up before we could get it properly resolved.. if there was actually a way to save everything, anyway. 

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but am glad that you managed to fix it.

There are ways to save data on an unresponsive machine - depending on what's wrong with it.

Good luck in the future!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users