Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you think of this plan?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brandontech4294

brandontech4294

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

Right now I'm at school and I can't really afford to spend a lot on a leisure activity like gaming, however I still want to be able to play games when I have time which at the moment I seem to have (plus it's kind of an ironic incentive to make me work really hard and effectively so as to get my hw and studies done so I have time to relax instead of procrastinating). 

That being said right now I have a decent HP Pavilion laptop with the following specs.
- i7-5500U - 2.4Ghz

- Intel HD5500 IGPU

- 6GB DDR3 

- 750 GB HDD

- Windows 10 64bit

Summary: This computer, (while having a 5th gen i7) is only a dual core with hyper-threading. With the igpu the HD5500, it is only able to play source games easily, but anything outside of that, I can't even expect to play on the lowest unless I don't mind playing games at 18-23fps with the lowest settings...which I dislike completely. HD5500 = Nvidia 8600GTS from 2007 or roughly based on my experiment at home. Also this is my school computer and I do not want to burn it out as I recognize my Pavilion, like many others have serious heat problems under load. It's a fantastic work station and has the potential to be a decent gaming system IF it had a discrete gpu like the gtx960m (which I've seen it paired with on higher-end laptops and play phenomenally well).

PLAN!

- I found a Dell Optiplex 755 bundle with a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers for $85! with the specs.

- Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 - 2.66Ghz

- 2GB DDR2

- 160GB HDD

- Windows XP Pro (i assume with 64bit)

--ADDING--

- R7 250

- 2GB RAM

Summary: I figured that since I don't have a desktop with me and I'm not going to fly home and figure out how to ship my gaming desktop from home, I could easily afford a bundle and just add a few small things to improve it's potential without breaking the bank or over doing the specs. The computer bundle I could easily leave the ram and sell it for $80ish OBO to someone at school before I go home and keep the R7 250 for myself (since I like collecting gpus anyway haha). The question I have is whether or not the computer will actually play games reasonably well on 720p at medium graphics? I don't expect to play games at 60fps, but 40fps is decent to me and just being able to at least run modern games will be fine because ultimately when I come back home for the summers I already have a desktop I can release all hell on and max everything so it doesn't matter. 

Edited by brandontech4294, 20 October 2015 - 12:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

It depends what you mean by modern games I guess.  That system is pretty old, and was never designed for gaming.  It's an office PC basically.  Bear in mind there are different variants of the Optiplex 755 (Mini Tower, Desktop, Small/Ultra Small Form Factor), and the most any of them has is a 305w PSU (check requirements for any GPU you want to buy first).  The desktop needs a riser to fit a full height GPU, while the SFF types won't take one at all, and there are tight length restrictions for cards - 16.76 cm max.

I'd assume Windows XP Pro will not be 64 bit (Windows XP x64 was never very popular) and Windows XP only supports up to Direct X 9.

Performance wise, assuming you put an R7-250 in there, at a guess it would run games a few years old OK, and simpler games.  If you were planning on playing say, Fallout 4 or GTA V and things like that then no, it won't be up to it.  Check here for requirements on whatever you want to run - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Edited by jonuk76, 20 October 2015 - 06:21 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 brandontech4294

brandontech4294
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

It depends what you mean by modern games I guess.  That system is pretty old, and was never designed for gaming.  It's an office PC basically.  Bear in mind there are different variants of the Optiplex 755 (Mini Tower, Desktop, Small/Ultra Small Form Factor), and the most any of them has is a 305w PSU (check requirements for any GPU you want to buy first).  The desktop needs a riser to fit a full height GPU, while the SFF types won't take one at all, and there are tight length restrictions for cards - 16.76 cm max.

I'd assume Windows XP Pro will not be 64 bit (Windows XP x64 was never very popular) and Windows XP only supports up to Direct X 9.

Performance wise, assuming you put an R7-250 in there, at a guess it would run games a few years old OK, and simpler games.  If you were planning on playing say, Fallout 4 or GTA V and things like that then no, it won't be up to it.  Check here for requirements on whatever you want to run - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Thanks, yea once I started doing more research on the computer, for 1 I saw that the shipping was $33+ so that was the first light to tell me no. The other and very important one was the fact that the computer was a small form factor version of it and from a video I saw, there is practically no space to put even a decent double slot / half-width variant of a gpu, the Zotac GT 640 low profile was a low profile but double height and wouldn't fit...the only option was to go for a PNY variant of the low profile GT 600/700 series Nvidia cards or go with a Power Color low profile R7 240. All of this got me also thinking...hell for the price I'm paying for the desktop and gpu (which the ultra low profile cards costed $20+ normal price (eg. $65 --> $85) and ran less well than normal card)...honestly the HD5500 and my i7-5500U could probably play games a little better in a fair amount of situations simply because the newer technology is simply more efficient...the only time the desktop+gpu would do much better was playing games heavily reliant on the gpu...which seemed kind of ironic since even that would be only marginally better since I would be using ultra low profile versions of low end cards...it sounded like a double negative, but was actually the reality. The way I see it, I'm better off just building a new system with a Pentium G3258 (overclocked), use my extra 600watt psu, and GTX470...then wasting the same amount on old computer with little to NO upgradability. I doubt I'll build another computer since I don't even need it, but I guess thinking more realistically, logically, statistically, and economically...it just doesn't add up to wasting money simply because I want a little more variation on games and taking the chance I'll just end up disappointed in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users