Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to add another heatsink for my computer fans?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 jessbelow

jessbelow

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hi, My Computer is currently running very slows and I think the loud noises of my computer fans must be the one that causing it. I have tried cleaning out the dust on both of my fans and yesterday I've replaced one of my cpu fan with the same brand I bought from Amazon but that didn't solved my problem, My Pc continues to runs very slows and the fan are still very loud, Its also getting a few crashes freezes now every 5 minutes or so. Also when I have did replacing my fans I saw inside my computer, that only one of my two fans has a heatsink on it, and the one with no heatsink is the one that running very loud. I would like to install another heatsink to add to my other fans, but i don't know how. How do I install a heatsink into my All in One Pc so both of my fans will have a heatsink connected to them.

This is how my inside computer fan looks like except mine only has one of those long gold stuff connected to one my two fans, are those stuff call heatsink or they have another name? : Attached File  computer fans.JPG   7.09KB   1 downloads

and my computer temperature right now, Am currently not running anything but there's already fire icons when i run a program or application the temperature get worser and i get more pc crashes. Attached File  computer temperature.PNG   11.46KB   1 downloads

My computer is a bit old its a Hp IQ 504 Paviliion touchsmart.: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01481519

I have Window 10 Installed on it, its used to have Window vista presinstalled. Attached File  my pc.jpg   5.95KB   0 downloads

Thanks, Please help me solved my problem anything would be appreciated.

Edited by jessbelow, 19 October 2015 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

A heatpipe system such as that is designed to cool a system correctly and it's not really feasible to alter it.

First comment I would make is that SpeedFan can mis-identify temp data, as in Temp3 being -128C. However since you seem to get temperature related crashes and high fan speeds, that would back up there being a temperature related fault.

Heat pipes transfer heat from the accumulator pads on CPU & GPU to small finned heatsinks that the fan(s) blow across. The rest of the system is cooled by the airflow drawn by the fans, so if only one fan has a finned plate, the second fan is contributing extra airflow to cool everything else. The system will not cool correctly unless fully assembled. How fast is the fan with the fins spinning? SpeedFan only seeing data for one fan is another reason to suspect it might be misreading, and could be worth trying a different diagnostic utility.

If the fan blowing through the heatsink fins is running at a reasonable speed, the air it puts out should feel quite warm. If it blows only slightly warm (the same as the fan outlet where there is no finning), then most likely either the thermal contact at the accumulator pads is poor (out of position, or old, cracked up thermal paste), or one or both of the thermal pipes have lost their gas due to a crack or pinhole. Failure of a thermal pipe requires replacement of the heatsink assembly. Poor thermal contact needs old thermal paste removed and fresh paste applied & reassembled correctly.

Edited by Platypus, 19 October 2015 - 08:46 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jessbelow

jessbelow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:28 PM

A heatpipe system such as that is designed to cool a system correctly and it's not really feasible to alter it.

First comment I would make is that SpeedFan can mis-identify temp data, as in Temp3 being -128C. However since you seem to get temperature related crashes and high fan speeds, that would back up there being a temperature related fault.

Heat pipes transfer heat from the accumulator pads on CPU & GPU to small finned heatsinks that the fan(s) blow across. The rest of the system is cooled by the airflow drawn by the fans, so if only one fan has a finned plate, the second fan is contributing extra airflow to cool everything else. The system will not cool correctly unless fully assembled. How fast is the fan with the fins spinning? SpeedFan only seeing data for one fan is another reason to suspect it might be misreading, and could be worth trying a different diagnostic utility.

If the fan blowing through the heatsink fins is running at a reasonable speed, the air it puts out should feel quite warm. If it blows only slightly warm (the same as the fan outlet where there is no finning), then most likely either the thermal contact at the accumulator pads is poor (out of position, or old, cracked up thermal paste), or one or both of the thermal pipes have lost their gas due to a crack or pinhole. Failure of a thermal pipe requires replacement of the heatsink assembly. Poor thermal contact needs old thermal paste removed and fresh paste applied & reassembled correctly.

Thanks! Yes, Now I'm sure that the heat pipes is the reason that this fan is not functioning properly, I think i might have cause something wrong when i tried to clean out the dust on my fans. Because instead of just cleaning the dust of the fan, I also decided to remove this heat pipes and tries to wipe some of it dust too, I think its might have cost to lsot the gas you say and became unusuable. Because right now i don't feel any smooth airflow you saying from the heat pipes fans, While the other fan with no heat pipes blowing a lot of air but doesn't go to gpu or something since its has no heat pipes, So may i removed the heat pipes, and just let both fan blow a lone without anything connected to them or without a heat pipes connected to one of them? or where can i buy a new Heat Pipes that would work for HP IQ 504 computer?

Edited by jessbelow, 19 October 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:48 PM

The heat pipes are essential. I'm still not clear whether the fan for the heatsink that the pipes go to is running at normal speed. But if the heatpipe assembly was removed for cleaning, it's quite possible that the pads are no longer making good thermal contact with the CPU and GPU chips under them. When thermally conductive grease that is normally between the surfaces is broken open, the old grease should be carefully cleaned off and new good quality thermal paste obtained and re-applied. Some systems don't use grease, but have some aid to heat conduction, such as a foil (difficult to replace) or a silicone pad. Foil once broken is almost impossible to re-use successfully. The silicone pads probably should not deteriorate, but they do take an impression of the chip, and if not refitted in precisely the same orientation, may stand proud and not be effective (at least until they may re-shape after a time).

Also make sure that whatever retention mechanism clamps the accumulator pads down onto the CPU and GPU is correctly tensioned  and the pads are correctly positioned to sit down fully into place.

It is possible of course that a pipe may have suffered damage, in which case the assembly would need to be replaced with the correct HP part.

Edited by Platypus, 19 October 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#5 jessbelow

jessbelow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:58 PM

The heat pipes are essential. I'm still not clear whether the fan for the heatsink that the pipes go to is running at normal speed. But if the heatpipe assembly was removed for cleaning, it's quite possible that the pads are no longer making good thermal contact with the CPU and GPU chips under them. When thermally conductive grease that is normally between the surfaces is broken open, the old grease should be carefully cleaned off and new good quality thermal paste obtained and re-applied. Some systems don't use grease, but have some aid to heat conduction, such as a foil (difficult to replace) or a silicone pad. Foil once broken is almost impossible to re-use successfully. The silicone pads probably should not deteriorate, but they do take an impression of the chip, and if not refitted in precisely the same orientation, may stand proud and not be effective (at least until they may re-shape after a time).

Also make sure that whatever retention mechanism clamps the accumulator pads down onto the CPU and GPU is correctly tensioned  and the pads are correctly positioned to sit down fully into place.

It is possible of course that a pipe may have suffered damage, in which case the assembly would need to be replaced with the correct HP part.

Alright, I guess i should just replaced it because I already know is broken and its not helping the CPU or GPU anymore gives airs, But I've search online for a IQ504 "HeatPipe" its doesn't show any result for shopping, Where can i get one of this heat pipe for my hp computer?

Edited by jessbelow, 19 October 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

See how you go here:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/

Can you see physically that a heatpipe is damaged?

#7 jessbelow

jessbelow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

See how you go here:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/

Can you see physically that a heatpipe is damaged?

Done, Unfortunately its all show as they most of these products anymore http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=KQ436AA "Item no longer suplied" and Nope I can't any physical damage to this long gold stuff called heat pipe, All i know is the day i removed both the pipe and the fan to dust it and clean, My computer started become super noisy even now and running very slow with freezes, I guess like what you said the CPU and GPU is not getting enough airs anymore because of the broken Pipe, Also when i removed the Pipe last time, I saw a lot of dust on it so i started to pick a napkin and wet it and wipe those the pipe holes line, and i placed it back in the exact position.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

It certainly seems that the majority of parts for the model have ceased to be available. I would still be suspicious of the thermal contact with the CPU & GPU. Once thermal conductive paste or equivalent is disturbed, it usually is no longer effective, especially if any dust or grit is introduced. It only needs a few specks of grit to hold the surfaces apart, and stop the heat transferring across into the heatpipes.

#9 jessbelow

jessbelow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:09 AM

It certainly seems that the majority of parts for the model have ceased to be available. I would still be suspicious of the thermal contact with the CPU & GPU. Once thermal conductive paste or equivalent is disturbed, it usually is no longer effective, especially if any dust or grit is introduced. It only needs a few specks of grit to hold the surfaces apart, and stop the heat transferring across into the heatpipes.

Thanks, thats really a lot good helpful informations, but how its there hope i could fixed the computer and get rid of the noisyness with laggs performance? I don't know how to buy another pipe to replace it, I already bought another fan, but since the pipe is the problem it didn't solved my hardware problem. I type buy all in one pc heatsink: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331605649687?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 thats all I've found, Will it work? Nvm i guess not because its for different computer fans.. Not hp or iq504..

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:00 AM

The part must be the exact right one. Using the HP part number finds them available from some suppliers, e.g.:

http://www.impactcomputers.com/5189-3759.html

Note: this is not a recommendation, just an example.

My concern would still be that the problem could be due to the heat not getting from the CPU to the heatpipe properly, and if you simply fitted another heatpipe/heatsink assembly it might be just the same. The end of the heatpipe must sit down firm and line up true on the flat top of the CPU, with both surfaces clean and whatever is there as heat transfer material (paste, foil, silicone pad) must be in good condition (which often means new) and covering the entire contact area.

#11 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

I agree with Platypus. Sounds like you took the heatsinks off and then just stuck them back on... You can't really do that I don't think.  You need to remove the old thermal pads or whatever, and then clean off the heatsink and the chips where the heatsinks contact, and then apply new thermal paste. You should find some good youtube videos about how to do that, they may be for laptops but would generally apply.

And if the fans are noisy maybe you need to oil them?

#12 jessbelow

jessbelow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:13 AM

I agree with Platypus. Sounds like you took the heatsinks off and then just stuck them back on... You can't really do that I don't think.  You need to remove the old thermal pads or whatever, and then clean off the heatsink and the chips where the heatsinks contact, and then apply new thermal paste. You should find some good youtube videos about how to do that, they may be for laptops but would generally apply.

And if the fans are noisy maybe you need to oil them?

Yes that's exactly what I've did wrong, I may have just place it back on the same position without adding anything or doing somethingelse because I didn't know anything about heat sinks. Although yesterday I open my computer again and I removed the heatsink but this time I clean it and also cleaned the square stuff it was attached to then I put it back, Surprisingly My computer performance little bit came back and it wasn't noisy all the time anymore but still get noisy when i use high cpu usage applications. It got a little bit better, So the only thing I need to do now is buy some kind of thermal paste to stick my heatsink on the square little stuff here, right that's all? Also I tried searching on YouTube how to do it, but the video i found I'm not really sure if they apply for my computer because the fan and their heat sinks look very different.

Edited by jessbelow, 22 October 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

Working around the fins on the end of the heat pipe, the area can be ducted with a little postcard paper to create a tunnel for the air and keep it concentrated on the heat pipes and fins.

#14 jessbelow

jessbelow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

Working around the fins on the end of the heat pipe, the area can be ducted with a little postcard paper to create a tunnel for the air and keep it concentrated on the heat pipes and fins.

This is how my fan with heatpipes looks like: Attached File  bleep.png   190.3KB   0 downloadsWhich end can i cut and it is safe to do it? After cutting it, I just add a little post card at the end point of it so its will give out air more efficient?

Edited by jessbelow, 22 October 2015 - 01:37 PM.

#15 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:45 PM

This video shows how to clean off the old stuff. But I do not like how he applies the new thermal paste, and my understanding is that it's the wrong way, because it will introduce air bubbles. The right way to put on paste is to just put a pea sized lump of it in the middle. Then when you press the heatsink down, it will automatically spread it out, and it won't have the air bubbles from trying to "smooth it on" like he did in the video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users