Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TRR

TRR

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:33 AM

I need help! The other day I lost power while the computer was on and when I tried to turn it back on Windows XP would not start up. So I tried again. This time I was able to choose from Safe Mode to Normally and I chose Normally. but it didn't work. So I tried again picking Safe Mode, it worked. I've tried rebooting and even tried booting from my XP disk. When I tried using the disk to boot, it started (getting to Windows Setup screen) then stopped. I don't know what else to try. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:47 AM

When you go to the boot menu, have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration"?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 TRR

TRR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

yes!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

Go back to safe mode and choose safe mode with command prompt.

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state. Pick a date before the problem began.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

#5 TRR

TRR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

System restore didn't work and I went back 2 weeks.

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:33 AM

Try running sfc /scannow.
It couldn't hurt.
You said you could start in safe mode.

Edited by medab1, 21 July 2006 - 12:36 AM.

#7 TRR

TRR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:43 PM

I just tried sfc /scannow, it would scan. But thank you any way. I'll keep trying. Let me know if you have any more things I can try. I need help.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:01 AM

Try a repair install of XP - instructions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 TRR

TRR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:59 AM

I'm unable to boot using the XP disk. It starts then stops at "Windows Setup" (at top) and "Starting Windows Installation" (at bottom). I've tried every boot method available to me at start up. (i.e.: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode Command, Last Configuration, Normally, Dibbuging, etc..).

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:11 PM

What mode did you choose for installing Windows?

How much space do you have available on your hard drive?

Are you using a Windows Full Installation Retail CD that has never been used on any other computer than this one?

Have you disconnected all peripherals except the monitor, the keyboard and mouse (wired not wireless, and PS2 connections not USB) and any additional slave hard drive you may have added?

#11 deadsleeper

deadsleeper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

you said the power went off?

sounds like bad sector in hard drive.

you should reformat

#12 TRR

TRR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

The XP disk is the original, only used on this computer. I have 28.5 gbs left on the hard drive. I have tried to reformat, it will not let me. It does not boot from XP disk. Yes, I did disconnect the 2nd hard drive and I use wireless keyboard and mouse. It will only boot in Safe Mode, with or without Networking, but thats it, no other form of boot. Also, I cannot get to the Recovery Console, it won't let me.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

Get Setup boot disks for the XP system configuration you have installed here:

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks (Use Internet Explorer - (Firefox will not display properly)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Use them to start the computer for installation.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 July 2006 - 12:42 AM.

#14 TRR

TRR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:38 PM

I got a copy of the boot disks from Microsoft, it started to install, then stopped at "Windows Setup" (at top) and "please wait" (at bottom). I've got a few other ideas I'm trying and I'll check back, but so far nothing has worked.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

How long did you wait - it sometimes takes a long, long time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users