Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Reformatting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 big_alex

big_alex

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:25 AM

Hey guys, I tried to reformate my friends computer, actually, i did reformate it and when i poped in the Windows XP CD when it asked for the Registration number, i entered it and it told me it was invalid. Now my friend bought this computer custom made from a friend, and he dident find the Serial Key on the side of his comp so he ran a XP serial key finder, and that how he got the key. Now we typed in every letter and number exactly, and it does not let us continue with the XP installation.

What should I do? What should I have done?

Thanks,
Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:03 AM

Get back with that friend and find out where he got the WinXP from and where's the correct product key.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:43 AM

I had this happen when I was installing W2k last month, and I wiped the drive and tried again and it worked. It just goes to show that Murphy was right.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:44 AM

What did you use to wipe the drive?

Use the Windows CD to do it.

#5 big_alex

big_alex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:06 AM

well i did a clean wipe, that is to say booted computer from CD, deleted his partioned drive, created a new one, everything went fine. BTW i found out that his laptop is running on the same cd key, i guess the guy he bought the comp from used both cd keys for laptop and desktop. What should I do?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:19 AM

Buy a new Full Install Windows XP CD and license.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:54 AM

Buy a new Full Install Windows XP CD and license.

Yes, and do it before Microsoft shuts off both computers.

#8 big_alex

big_alex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

ok, i thought there was a way to Reformate a computer. In the future, if i have to reformate my computer, what should i do? (only 1 cd to this registration)

#9 Kella

Kella

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:59 PM

If you need to wipe/reload your system, use the original CD and product key that you got with the computer. Microsoft has gotten pretty wise to the piracy game and therefore will lock out any computer showing an unauthorized duplication of product keys.

In other words, use your own CD, mate. ;)

As for your friend, make sure that he has an authorized product key to use with the CD before wiping his system.

Hope that was helpful at least a little bit.

~Kella~
new techie to the forums

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:26 AM

If you're having problems with the product key and you're sure that it's a legitimate copy of XP you can contact Microsoft for assistance.

There used to be a program that would get you a legit copy of XP if you turned in the offender to Microsoft.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

Get genuine: How can I take advantage of the Microsoft genuine Windows offer?
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads...#Question5Label

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users