Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 EXE not ISO

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

You can only download a legitimate Windows 7 .iso from MSDN (if you have an account there) or the Microsoft Software Recovery Center by providing a retail product key for a Windows 7 product.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

And you can enter your product key during the installation of Windows 7 or after. However, you need an installation media to install Windows 7.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:54 PM

Thanks! Could I buy a retail copy of windows 7, then install it on multiple PCs using the manufacturer's product key on the PCs? 

#18 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

Thanks! Could I buy a retail copy of windows 7, then install it on multiple PCs using the manufacturer's product key on the PCs? 

If I understand the legal-beagle correctly - no.  1 PC, 1 license.  With TrueBlue: you can completely remove OS from a computer and install onto another computer.  With OEM: no move, no transfer, OS & computer married for life.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#19 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

Thanks! Can I use a retail copy as a generic OS copy in order to reset other broken OS's, then enter the original OEM product key on broken PC's? 

#20 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

Thanks! Can I use a retail copy as a generic OS copy in order to reset other broken OS's, then enter the original OEM product key on broken PC's? 

Absolutely, assuming the broken PC has the same OS.

Mixing versions/editions might be problematic; check with others here.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#21 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

Yes, you could. As long as you use the product key that comes with the computer (OEM most likely), you'll be fine. Basically all you need is a Windows 7 installation .iso or media, that's it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#22 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

Wow! Thanks! My life just got a little easier. 

#23 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

No problem, you're welcome.

On a side note...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Bookmark these as they could come handy.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users