Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 EXE not ISO

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a download of Windows 7 EXE not ISO. I need to reset a windows 7 pc that is out of warranty, so I can't get help from Windows support or the manufacturer.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

Post make and model, some even  a few years old have recovery partitions.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

Thanks! It is an HP All-in-One 200-5000 Desktop. The lady upgraded to Windows 10 and it later prompted her to do a microsoft acct for log in. She forgot her password. I tried every way to revert, repair, and reset, and it is not working. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

What do you mean by .exe and not an .iso? How do you want to reinstall Windows 7 using only an .exe file?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:54 PM

It's my understanding that when an OS that was factory installed and the PC is no longer covered by warranty, the only way to reset the OS is to use an EXE copy of Windows or buy an all new OS. ISO will only work when the OS was purchased separate from the PC. So, what I run into is: Windows won't give support since it wasn't installed afterwards, and manufactures won't help because the PC is always out of warranty. 

Windows support told me that they do not offer the EXE download, but they are floating around for those who fix computers, which I do. Then, when you copy to a disk and install the Windows EXE file, you can enter the original product key and effectively reset the OS without having the consumer purchase a new copy of windows. I'm really struggling to find the right resources, or else, I'm not understanding something clearly. 

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:44 AM

If you have the Product Key Sticker on the PC  , you can download a suitable Windows 7 / 8.1 and burn the ISO to a DVD Disc and boot from that disc and Install Windows.

The .exe you are referring too would be the Setup.exe on the disc after the ISO was burnt to the Disc.

When you Boot the PC from the Disc it will automatically do this and install Windows.

If you have updated to Windows 10 and want to revert back to previous Version im sure other experts could direct you - on how to do so.

Also what was the Previous Windows Version ?

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:41 AM

Windows Operating System (OS) dont come in a executable from where like a program you will install Windows OS by double clicking the executable file. What is warranty of your computer has to do with you factory resetting the computer. Manufacturer of the computer provides recovery tool and factory provided recovery partition. Recovery software like Acer eRecovery or Acer Recovery Management or ASUS Recovery Partition or AI Recovery, entering these terms into Windows’ Start Menu search box can help you find them. Read your computer user manual to find out how to factory reset your computer. You can also access recovery software from outside Windows, which is useful if you can’t find the software, or if Windows won’t load. To do this, reboot your computer, and pay close attention to the boot screen that appears before Windows loads. Keep an eye out for a shortcut key that brings you to the recovery interface. In most cases, the key will be F11. Note, though, that you do need a recovery partition for these methods to work. If you don’t have one, your only option will be to perform a full reinstall of Windows.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:19 AM

It's my understanding that when an OS that was factory installed and the PC is no longer covered by warranty, the only way to reset the OS is to use an EXE copy of Windows or buy an all new OS. ISO will only work when the OS was purchased separate from the PC. So, what I run into is: Windows won't give support since it wasn't installed afterwards, and manufactures won't help because the PC is always out of warranty. 

Windows support told me that they do not offer the EXE download, but they are floating around for those who fix computers, which I do. Then, when you copy to a disk and install the Windows EXE file, you can enter the original product key and effectively reset the OS without having the consumer purchase a new copy of windows. I'm really struggling to find the right resources, or else, I'm not understanding something clearly.

This isn't true at all. You cannot reinstall Windows from a simple .exe. If you want to reinstall Windows with a clean install, you need to use an .iso since you have to boot from it (you need to mount it on a media first like a USB, CD or DVD) and then launch the install from there. If you want to launch a repair install, then you can mount the .iso virtually and launch the setup.exe inside it, however you still need the .iso.

In short, there's no such thing as a "Windows 7 .exe" to reinstall Windows, what you're looking for here is an .iso. If you have a retail product key for your Windows 7, you can get an .iso from the Microsoft Software Recovery Center. If you have an OEM product key, you need to contact your laptop/computer manufacturer if you don't have a set of Recovery disc or a Recovery partition. These are the only legal way to get Windows 7 .iso as of today (except via MSDN).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the input! I'm new to OS recovery and trying to learn. hmm... It was a windows 7 converted to 10. When she got locked out, I tried to reset to factory and it screwed up the OS and repair features, including wiping the restore point that Windows 10 surely saved. Do ya'll think a partition recovery wizard would help?If not, would I have to change the BIOS settings to try to run the windows 7 ISO? I thought an ISO disc would only work on windows if installed after the PC was already owned (retail copy).

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

Did you follow the instructions below to perform the Factory Reset?

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01867418

Also, .iso works no matter what kind of product key you have. It's the activation that changes after.

unite_blue.png

#11 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

I took out the hard drive and ran chkdsk. Afterwards, It can't even find an operating system. I guess I just throw in a Windows 7 ISO???

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:48 PM

You can throw a Windows .iso on a media and make it bootable, then boot from it and either run a repair install or clean install.

unite_blue.png

#13 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

How do I even get a copy of Windows 7 ISO without a product key of a retail copy? 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

You'll need to contact the manufacturer of the computer/laptop you are working on and ask them how to get a Recovery (or installation) media. Most of them will send you one for a fee however, not free.

unite_blue.png

#15 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

Where can I download Windows 7 ISO? Is there a way to enter the product key after its installed or does it have to be before the download? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users