Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Professional Network Paths/Exams

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

Hi all, sorry if this seems like a silly questions but I am really hoping to get some advice!

So I am 23 and I have been working full time in IT for business support for about 2 years and I am finding that my main interested in mainly in networks and networking. Although I have an interest in general network I am hoping to go down a professional path. Things that include general networking, OSI, protocols etc. 

The only professional path that is long term and recognized world wide is Cisco....Are there any others I should think of that are more generalised and not specific to one brand of networking equipment?

Thanks!! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:35 PM

Anyone able to offer anything??

#3 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:05 PM

There's different things you could in the networking field. Designing and implementing networks for businesses, network administration, network security monitoring, you could even work on designing new protocols. Really it's up to you what you choose to pursue.

As far as general education and certification, the CompTIA Network + is a good first cert, and provides general knowledge, not restricted to one networking vendor such as Cisco. Professor Messer has some good instructional videos for this certification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompTIA#Network.2B

http://www.professormesser.com/network-plus/n10-006/n10-006-course-index/

Edited by irvin_than_allyl, 24 October 2015 - 11:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users