Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have there even been any Windows 10 Updates

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:43 PM

Apparently I have no win 10 updates at all.  Updated history is now empty.  Clicking on uninstall updates does bring up a list of win 8 updates and 2 c++ updates for 10.

Checking my event logs every windows 10 update has failed with differing error codes. Ran the trouble shooters again and it says it fixed some problems but it can't fix the data base problem.  Now what do I do?  A recovery seems a bit drastic at this point I have only been using this pc a few months.  May not have a choice tho.

Thank you

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,743 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Isee that I have downloaded and installed over 300 updates for Windows 10. YMMV, every system is different, etc. etc. If you want, I can count the exact amount, but it is well over 300 updates.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

Then basically my windows update never has worked geeeze. And I wonder why I am having problems?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

I fail to believe that Windows Update has not updated, but it's a remote possibility.

On the main Windows Update screen under settings for Update & Security shows you precisely when the update check was performed:

[attachment=171863:WinUpdateMainScreen.jpg]

and you can force it to check for updates now by clicking the button.

The Advanced Options screen shows the link to click to see what updates have already been applied.

[attachment=171864:WinUpdateAdvancedOptions.jpg]

Here's the first page of updates from my computer that are shown by clicking that link:

[attachment=171865:WinUpdateHistoryP1.jpg]

The only logical reason I can think of why Windows Update would not be automatically updating is if you have somehow set your internet connection as a metered connection.  See this article for what this means and how to enable/disable/check the status of your internet connection.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:59 PM

I thought that might be my issue also but when I checked my settings I had never set it for a metered connection.  I had thought about setting it for metered but when I read that updates would not update over a metered connection I guess I did not set it as metered.

I have a very slow speed connection but it is unlimited data useage.

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

Do you have it set to download updates for other Microsoft products? You mentioned, elsewhere, a problem with Microsoft Photos updating. I wonder if that issue might be gumming up the whole works...

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:44 AM

What does systeminfo.exe say?  To run it, open an elevated (run as admin) command prompt?

Type in systeminfo and press Enter.

Most systems will show from 8 to 13 hotfixes there (for build 10240).

Here's some things to try fixing Windows Update:

There's not many experts at fixing Windows Updates.
I am not one of them.
But the few experts that there are a sorely overworked - so getting a reply will be difficult.
I'll continue to attempt to help here, but please bear with me.

First, please try the Windows Update troubleshooter/fixes listed here:
Windows Update Troubleshooter:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us
Windows Update Troubleshooter KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434
Reset Windows Update Components KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Then, if that doesn't fix the Windows Update problem, please do the following 2 things. (copied from here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html ):

Run SFCFix

This free tool of neimiro's creation (see above link) is a very good starting point for the diagnosis and repair of all Windows Update and System File Checker corruptions. We therefore need you to run this tool prior to collecting logfiles.

-  First download and run a copy of the tool from http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe.
        -  Work through any on-screen prompts and then await completion (runtime is approximately 15 minutes).
        -  Once it has finished, if there are any unrepaired corruptions (the tool will notify you if it has succeeded in repairing all corruptions if they're simple in which case we're no longer needed) or unresolved problems with your computer, you need to post us the complete logfile which opens on exit. Simply copy (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) the entire logfile into your new thread (also know as a 'topic'). How to create a new thread is shown later on in this post.

Export CBS folder
NOTE:  This is not for me (I can't read them).  This is in case you decide to post in the OS forums asking for help from the experts. 

-  On Windows 8/10, press the Windows key, type This PC, and press Enter.
        -  On Windows Vista/7, click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
        -  Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
        -  Find and double click on the Logs folder.
        -  Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
        -  Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
        -  Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
        -  A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

As for the first item (SFCFix), just copy and paste into your post as indicated.
For the second item (CBS log), if you'd like it analyzed, start a post in the OS forums, then zip it up and upload it with your next post there (it's not needed in this topic as I can't read it).
If it's too big to upload (or you get an error), just upload it to a free file hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).  Ensure that it's shared and then post a link to it here.

Edited by usasma, 20 October 2015 - 06:45 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

Well I followed all your links and ran all the tools even the SFCfix tool from synsytive. Ran it for an hour it stayed hung at 20%.
I belive I have a boogerman AGAIN. Since it would not complete I have no logs for you. This is one bad puppy.
I feel like making a DVD of this whole thing and mailing it to someone and let them try their luck with it. Be warned run it only in a well contained environment.

Any takers??

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,743 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:15 AM

I have installed Windows 10 on 4 different computers and that is my biggest complaint; Windows 10 does not update itself automatically. I have to manually check for updates on all of these computers otherwise updates would never be installed. I hope that Microsoft fixes this problem.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,598 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have installed Windows 10 on 4 different computers and that is my biggest complaint; Windows 10 does not update itself automatically. I have to manually check for updates on all of these computers otherwise updates would never be installed. I hope that Microsoft fixes this problem.

Are you certain that your internet connection has not been set as metered?  If it is then manual update is the only option you will be able to exercise when using that connection.

I've now installed on two of my own machines and dealt with one other and all update as expected.  However, there are reported issues with Windows Update and I'd hope those will eventually be resolved in an update.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,157 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hrm perhaps something hung, its hard to determine.

I know about that crap flash update to windows 10, I had to manually update my machine

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,743 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

Are you certain that your internet connection has not been set as metered?  If it is then manual update is the only option you will be able to exercise when using that connection.

I've now installed on two of my own machines and dealt with one other and all update as expected.  However, there are reported issues with Windows Update and I'd hope those will eventually be resolved in an update.

100% certain. I am very anal about the way that I set up my OS and I do all the little tweaks to get it just right.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,598 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:36 PM

Rocky,

I would also suggest that you use the Feedback app to complain about this to MS.  It appears that the Feedback app is still being closely monitored regarding what's going on with Win10 "in the wild" and for any trends.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,743 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

Thanks. Right now it does not bug me at all, it is just the way things are. On one of my PCs I am running a preview build and the other PCs are not even mine, they belong to other family members. As long as we check for updates regularly, they get installed regularly. Not too bad really.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users