Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open any programs or get on internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kittykatd

Kittykatd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

My husband has Win 8.1 Toshiba and this morning found that he could not open any programs or get on the internet.  He tried System Restore, but that didn't help.  I ran Malware Bytes, removed 6 items, but still no luck.  I tried doing a suggestion from the internet, but it came up with an error code 0x80070005.   I looked that up, but couldn't find anything that worked.   The original message was "no such interface supported".  

I'm not an expert but can follow clear directions.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.   :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

He could not open any programs . . . he tried System Restore . . .  I ran Malware Bytes

I am a little confused by these statements. Am I right in thinking the computer is booting to the desktop, in either view, and that you can get system functions to run ?  Your quote of the original message 'No such interface supported' suggests the drivers for either the ethernet or the wi-fi - whichever method you are using - have failed. Can you try getting to 'Device manager to see if there are any yellow or red marks against any of his network devices.

From desktop view, 'Windows key + x, Control panel, System, Device manager' will get you there.

If there are any devices with exclamation marks or crosses against them click on them to get to their 'Properties ' panel and see if the drivers are installed or if the devices are said to be working or not. If the drivers are not working or not there you could try going to the Toshiba web-site and downloading the drivers via your computer to a memory stick and then seeing if you can get them to install to his from the stick.

Post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Kittykatd

Kittykatd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I could not get Device Manager to open up.  If you can think of anything else, I'd be happy to try, or if you have an idea why Device Manager wouldn't open, would love to hear that. 

Ruth

As an aside, my parents came from Scotland way back when...father from Glasgow, mother from Dundee.  :) 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

I am still a bit confused, you said in your first post that he cannot open any of his applications but you managed to run MBAM, which, after all, is an application. I would like you to try to download and run two free tools from BC - Speccy and Mini-Toolbox. Speccy comes in two versions, one is installable as a permanent application, the other is a 'portable' version which will run from a memory stick. Mini-Toolbox is just an .EXE file which will of course run from a memory stick. You can get them here -

Speccy :- 

MiniToolbox :-  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

For Minitoolbox, if you get it to run you will get a screen like this:-  https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kc3xzpjw6jt1fo/MiniToolBox.jpg?dl=0

Tick all the boxes except the second last, Minidumps' then click 'Go' and let it run. When it has finished it will create a text file on the desktop or where you ran it from. Open this file and copy / paste the contents of it into your next post.

For Speccy, install it or run the portable version and let it complete the analysis. When it has finished it will produce a link to the report, these two images will show you how to find the report URL -

(1)   https://www.dropbox.com/s/hynwyb0wva2uk4f/Speccy%201.jpg?dl=0

(2)   https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo1fw10rvh6wv90/Speccy%202.jpg?dl=0

Copy the URL and paste it into your next post as well - just the URL please !

If you can't get either of these to run please give us a list of what you can access on this computer. As I said, it seems that somethings are working and much not.

I won't hold your Scottish ancestry against you - we exported some of our best, and worst, to North America !

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 October 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#5 Kittykatd

Kittykatd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

Chris, he cannot access the internet on his computer.  We've tried to find a solution for that, but I'm guessing if we found that, the whole thing would be solved.   Internet not available; unable to open Word program.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.  :)

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

This is beginning to sound like malware, I actually suspected it from the start.

Your best course of action is to start a new topic in the 'Am I infected ?' section of BC and see what they say there. Give details - make and model and OS - of his computer and include a link to this topic - the URL at the top of the page - in your post there. Also, please send me a PM to say you have started a new topic and I will close this one to avoid any confusion. Just click on my avatar then in the top right of my profile page you will see 'Send me a message'. Click on that, write your message, click 'Post' - job done.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 October 2015 - 06:16 PM.
Topic closed due to new topic in AII

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users