Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 & Office 2013 - XP mode broken?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 shlepp

shlepp

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:52 AM

Hi,

Just upgraded a PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and am checking if things work ok. The PC has Office 2013 on, and, for reasons I wont bore you with, I need Word to run in XP compatibility mode. It worked ok in that mode on Windows 7 but in Windows 10 it crashes on start with a "we're sorry but Word has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly" message. Pressing the 'repair' option here does nothing. Same happens when I test that mode with Outlook or Excel, but non-Microsoft programs are working fine.

I tried repairing Office, both 'quick' and 'online' repairs, through Control Panel > Programs. The latter reinstalled the software and needed reactivating. Neither helped.

I'd be grateful if someone else who has the combination of Office 2013 and Windows 10 could quickly check for me if their MS Word will run in XP compatibility mode and let me know here.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

Hello,

Ok I have Windows 10 and Office 2013; and there is no Windows XP compatibility option for programs in Windows 10 the furthest back they allow you to go is Windows Vista.

However Office 2013 should run completely fine with windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

I understand you tried reinstalling it and it did not help but maybe you could try using this tool

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

It’s a uninstall tool and works great I bought it but; you can get their 30day free trial and use it; that will allow you to uninstall Office 2013 completely and when your using this tool please make sure you check off the advanced scan option when uninstalling office that will check and delete any left-over corrupt files and stuff;

When done restart your PC and install your Office 2013 online from your MS account under office.com​

It should work after this :thumbsup: ​

And if it does not then let me know​

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

shlepp,

This article also states that if you had an application that worked in XP but not in 7 without compatibility mode the application may not work in 10.

The only solution for your problem I have seen is building a Windows XP virtual machine.2

I also checked with my Windows 10 computer and there is not a compatibility mode option on Word to run in XP Mode.

#4 Barnack

Barnack

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

Personally i still keep using Office 2003. In my main hard drive i've still Windows XP since i find it much more stable than Windows 7 (i'm having a lot of bsod in win 7).

So i mainly use office there, and it obviously works fine.

Used in Windows 7 i've heared from various sources that it cashes frequently when you start having some text (like half page). It happened to me too; then i've read about someone deactivating the real-time grammar checking. I didn't belive, but i tryed and i must tell it works.

Now in my laptop i've installed Windows 10, again with office 2003. I was having the exact same problem, till i've deactivated real-time grammar checking on win 10 too, and it now works properly. I actually don't know what in the wor(l)d can cause grammar checking being incompatible with new versions of Windows, but it happens, so try this solution.

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

Do you mean Office 2003, or 2013? 2013 should be compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10

If you have Office 2003, then you will have to start upgrading

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#6 shlepp

shlepp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:48 AM

I also checked with my Windows 10 computer and there is not a compatibility mode option on Word to run in XP Mode.

If you right-click the exe and 'troubleshoot compatibility' > 'troubleshoot program' > 'This program worked in earlier versions of windows...' do you not have XP in the list?

#7 Barnack

Barnack

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:12 AM

Have you tryed disableing the real time grammar checking?
You'll still be able to do the manual ones (the one that opens a window in which errors are shown one by one), i've never had problems with it in any version of Windows

Edited by Barnack, 20 October 2015 - 03:13 AM.

#8 shlepp

shlepp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

Have you tryed disableing the real time grammar checking?

Yes, didn't help I'm afraid but thanks for the suggestion.

It's a shame Microsoft can't make only the compatibility options that work show in the troubleshooting list for its own programs. If MS Office programs are going to fail to start at all when run in XP service pack 3 compatibility mode on Windows 10, they should make that option not appear in the list at all.

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:33 AM

shlepp,

This article also states that if you had an application that worked in XP but not in 7 without compatibility mode the application may not work in 10.

The only solution for your problem I have seen is building a Windows XP virtual machine

64 bit programs don't have anything below Vista

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

Seriously, why would you need to run Office 2013 in any compatibility mode?   It will edit and save files in any of the earlier Office file formats without being run in compatibility mode and will warn you if it wants to change the format to a later one when you do a save and give you the option not to do the format change.  If you accidentally do the format change it's as simple as doing a "Save As" and choosing one of the earlier file formats to get the format you need back.

I've worked with "multi-generation file sharing" between people using different versions of Office where we need to make sure that the file format remained in an older format so that participants with older versions of Office could still make contributions.  It's not difficult.

I must be missing something because I can't fathom any reason to use "run in prior OS" compatibility mode for an MS-Office program up through 2013.  I haven't dealt with Office 365.

Edited by britechguy, 20 October 2015 - 08:46 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 shlepp

shlepp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

Seriously, why would you need to run Office 2013 in any compatibility mode?

We use an old CRM program and this only plays nicely with Word in XP compatibility mode. No idea why but there it is. Even using Office 2013 on Windows 7 we need to put Word in XP compatibility mode or the templates launched by the CRM in Word just crash it. The CRM has moved on to a browser-based version but moving up to that requires a complete rewrite of this heavily customised system and comes with a very large cost.

#12 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

shlepp,

Just for the sake of curiosity, have you tried to use Word 2013 on Windows 10 without having it in compatibility mode or are you assuming it won't work based on your experience with a previous version of Word on Windows 7?

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

Seriously, why would you need to run Office 2013 in any compatibility mode?

We use an old CRM program and this only plays nicely with Word in XP compatibility mode. No idea why but there it is. Even using Office 2013 on Windows 7 we need to put Word in XP compatibility mode or the templates launched by the CRM in Word just crash it. The CRM has moved on to a browser-based version but moving up to that requires a complete rewrite of this heavily customised system and comes with a very large cost.

Not that I don't feel your pain, because I've "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" in similar situations multiple times.

The sad fact is that it is simply not practical to believe that one can continue to use WinXP or WinXP compatibility mode reliably at this point in time.  The decision either needs to be made not to use Win10 and continue on as you had been or to finally bite the bullet and do the system redesign and recoding.

This is one of the things that has made me have the attitude that it is far, far easier to do incremental changes to systems as the things that they use change than to keep operating under the "well we can make it work right now using these tricks" on an ongoing basis.  You get painted into precisely the corner you're finding yourself in now.

The strong favoring of the "well we can make it work. . ." attitude in certain quarters is what made me leave IT as my primary career almost 20 years ago.  I'd had enough of perpetual cycles of "there's always time to create Rube Goldbergian work-arounds but there's never time to do it right" thinking.

Edited by britechguy, 20 October 2015 - 09:17 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#14 shlepp

shlepp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

shlepp,

Just for the sake of curiosity, have you tried to use Word 2013 on Windows 10 without having it in compatibility mode or are you assuming it won't work based on your experience with a previous version of Word on Windows 7?

Tried every compatibility mode and none. I've today upgraded office to 2016 on 2 PCs, one on Windows 7 and one on Windows 10. On Windows 7 Word 2016 will still launch in Xp compatibility mode, on Windows 10 it doesn't. I was hoping that it may only be an issue affecting Office 2013 on 10.

#15 shlepp

shlepp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

This is one of the things that has made me have the attitude that it is far, far easier to do incremental changes to systems as the things that they use change than to keep operating under the "well we can make it work right now using these tricks" on an ongoing basis.  You get painted into precisely the corner you're finding yourself in now.

The strong favoring of the "well we can make it work. . ." attitude in certain quarters is what made me leave IT as my primary career almost 20 years ago.  I'd had enough of perpetual cycles of "there's always time to create Rube Goldbergian work-arounds but there's never time to do it right" thinking.

We didn't have the option of incremental changes. A couple of years after we bought the system they moved to a new version and only agreed to support our version for a few years more. To change then would have been a bill in the tens of thousands. If you can get more years use out of a large investment by something as simple as running programs in compatibility mode then it makes sense to me to do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users