Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to connect speakers to MOBO

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vento

vento

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hi! I have 5 old speakers (you can see them in the photo). I want to connect them to my mother board, which is and AsRock 970 Extreme R2.0.

In the official website of AsRock (AMD) I've found this info about my mobo:

-Audio: 7.1 CH HD Audio with content protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec)

-Rear panel I/O:

• HD Audio Jack: Side Speaker / Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone
  • 1 x Coaxial SPDIF Out Port
  • 1 x Optical SPDIF Out Port

But I've taken a look of my PC rear panel and there are only 6 jack connections, and two of them are Mic and Line in.

So, what can I do?

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

You might have a purchase what I call an external "output mixer," something that takes the signals from the mobo and parcels same out like playing cards equally to all external speakers.  Not being in music - I don't know the official terminology for said device.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 vento

vento
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

You might have a purchase what I call an external "output mixer," something that takes the signals from the mobo and parcels same out like playing cards equally to all external speakers.  Not being in music - I don't know the official terminology for said device.

Thanks, man! But I don't know how to get an external "output mixer". I've been reading the mobo guide/manual; in theory I can connect 4 of those speakers by the jack connections. What do you think about it?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

Do you have a Guitar Center or something similar in your area?  They carry all kinds of hardware [and related software].  They probably can fix you up in no time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

Six outputs.  Besides the normal speaker jack, which would be the front  speakers.  Of the others, rear speakers,  center, subwoofer.  The front, rear and side connections are stereo and the center and subwoofer would be mono.   I would be inclined to use  the SPDIF to any AVR or receiver if that input is available.

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

Your speakers do not appear to be amplified as they have no mains lead, in which case you cannot connect them directly to the motherboard as this also has no amplifier.

To use all five speakers you either need a multi-channel amplifier (or 3 stereo amplifiers), or more realistically get a set of active (amplified) computer speakers.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

amplifier -- that was the word I could not remember for my 1st reply  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users