Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"there are no previous versions available"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:11 AM

In fact, it's never worked since day 1 of Windows 7. I mean from first week of its release.

Whenever I right-click on any file and go to the file's properties, under the 'previous versions' tab, it will say "searching for previous versions" for about a minute, then it will say "there are no previous versions available". I have never got Windows 7 to show any kind of previous version of any file. Is this feature broken in Windows 7? or am I doing something wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:19 AM

Hi Sylveon Fetish :)

In order for previous versions of files to be saved, you need to have the "Volume Shadow Copy" service enabled on Windows 7.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee923636(v=ws.10).aspx

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

Sylveon Fetish,

In case you aren't sure where to find the Volume Shadow Copy control, please do the following:

1. Click Start
  2. Right Click Computer
  3. Click Properties
  4. Click System Protection
  5. Click the drive that contains files you want to be able to view previous versions of
  6. Click Configure
  7. Click Restore system settings and previous versions of files (if the drive is the Operating System drive). Click Only restore previous versions of files (if the drive is not the Operating System drive).
  8. Click Apply
  9. Click OK
  10. Click OK

I hope that helps with your issue.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hi Sylveon Fetish,

If you have done the above (or already had) here's a link to enable it

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/how-to-enable-volume-shadow-copy-in-windows-7/faaf7490-d929-47a6-a12f-1bf100db66e5?auth=1

Hope it works for you 

It has never worked for me (previous versions) from day one like you

Even tried "Shadow Explorer" and that shows nothing as well

I wish you better luck than me

Hedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users