Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Precision T3500

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

Hey guys.

I have a Dell Precision T3500 and It worked great up until I took it apart for cleaning then put it back together, upon putting it back together, it wouldn't power on.

First test I did was using the built in feature on the back of the power supply. I just held the power supply button down and it ran the computer completely fine with the led a solid green and everything plugged in.
I learned about this feature from this video.

After that, I used the built in jump feature that clears the ram I believe when it the jumps the power on, learned about this from the online manual found here (page 2). It's just a little plastic piece you pull off of 2 pins. When off, the power button works, I can use it to it turn the computer on and off. As soon as I put the plastic piece back on the 2 pin jumper though, the power button no longer works. When I got the computer on, it didn't display any out of the ordinary led codes or beep codes, just the normal 2 beeps on startup. Something strange though is that the OS won't start, it fails every time, I don't know if the ram being cleared has anything to do with that.

Just need some guidance on where to go from here. I can buy a new control panel for the front power button for only 5 bucks on ebay but after using that NVRAM jumper, I don't know If I need a new one.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

You most likely disconnected something while cleaning the inside of the computer.

Go back inside the computer and check all of your connections.  Pull all of the power and data connections one at a time and reconnect them.  Do the same with the RAM and any other cards.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

I tried that earlier before the things listed above but in high hopes, tried it again and unfortunately I'm stuck in the same boat. :(

I'm still thinking it might be the control panel that the power button sits on because when it's all plugged in and the computer is off, it gives off a faint yellow light in the led that would usually shine green when the computer is on. It's almost like there's an issue there. What also drives me to think this is that when I unplugged one of the cables from the control panel, it was extremely hard to disconnect it because it must have not be disconnected for years and I had to really pull to get it disconnected.

Edited by Slim Nelson, 19 October 2015 - 08:00 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

That real hard pull could have accidentally broken an inside connection. I can relate, I've done that too in the past. Had to buy another part.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 October 2015 - 06:13 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, I keep thinking that's the issue. I wish I had a spare part to test it.

I guess I'll just have to buy one and hope that it's the issue.

Do you think I should buy one with the cables for $12 or get one without the cables for $5?

You think it's possible for me to break the cable too, or is that unlikely?

The cable I had to give a hard pull on was the bigger one with the yellow handle.

Edited by Slim Nelson, 19 October 2015 - 09:19 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:14 AM

Buy the one with cables -- your computing is important to you, throw just a few extra dollars and get the known good cabling  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:47 AM

Alright, will do. Thanks for your advice Roland.

Thanks for your help too, dc3.

Hulk_Tag.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

If this does not resolve the problem please post the color of the power (on) button and if it is solid or blinking.

Also post which of the power buttons lights (1 - 4) are blinking.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:50 PM

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue.

Dc3, when I'm able to run it using the jumper feature, it powers on as it did before and the power button lights up green. The 1-4 lights do their little startup run through and after a second, 1-3 stay solid green.

Edit: What drives me crazy is that it runs and is fully functional when I use the jumper feature (on a hardware level).

Edited by Slim Nelson, 26 October 2015 - 04:38 AM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#10 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

Hey guys, I had my issue resolved by the Dell Support Forums.

Topic is HERE for anyone interested in the solution.

Edited by Slim Nelson, 02 November 2015 - 09:10 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users