Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Petition to remove forced Win10 updates inter alia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:22 PM

Computerworld posted this article on the petition, yesterday. I thought the petition was still open, but didn't sign.  Maybe it is still open, but I didn't check.

Personally, I had no problems with Win10 installs or updates starting with build 10162 and activation at 10240, but I stopped using Win10 in early August (and told MSFT that in its 'Feedback') upon reading aka.ms/msa ,  due to its Paragraphs 2, 3, 7. For no matter what they do with it, the thing is lawsuit heaven for lawyers. 

But for others who have no third-party data to curate, maybe Win10 has its advantages.  But for sure one big problem many have, is the forced updates.

So if the petition is still open, y'all might want to sign.

Dang, I thought I was posting in Windows 10 Discussion forum.  If any mod wants to move this thread, thank you.  I can't delete the topic here now and move it myself.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 October 2015 - 11:34 PM.
Moved to appropriate forum. ~ OB

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:38 PM

Why is it customers think they know what's best for them?  Microsoft has been making operating systems a long time and they know what's best for you, and how and when it should be installed.

#3 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:46 PM

Interesting, and again, good to see many people concerned.

I also found this link therein noteworthy ..

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2993851/windows-pcs/microsoft-antagonizes-users-with-intrusive-new-windows-10-upgrade-tactics.html

and excerp from there ..

Suddenly, Windows 10 gains ground It may be a coincidence, but that timeline roughly corresponded to a significant uptick in Windows 10's usage share. Prior to Sept. 21, the OS's usage share growth had been in decline, with week-over-week increases falling slowly but steadily, probably because the pool of early adopters eager to get their hands on Windows 10 had been exhausted.

But beginning Sept. 21, Windows 10's week-over-week usage share growth experienced a noticeable jump, with the gains peaking on Sept. 26, then falling off over the next seven days. When the OS's usage share increases were graphed, they created a visible "wave" that first rose, then fell.

Speaks for itself, doesn't it ?

In other industries, such cooking of the books would be called fraud, and cause a trading suspension.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:23 AM

Go back in time a little.....just a matter of weeks...maybe a month or so.....and I was told in no uncertain fashion that   "We get it, that you think Microsoft is a kitten eviscerating second coming of satan."

With all due respect to the kittens.....I was right.....again.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:57 AM

Yeah, and here's MSFT's answer to the petition, just in at PC World 6 hours ago.

Basta. :football:

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:12 AM

Microsoft says take your cumulative Windows updates, they're good for you

Like I said above.

Why is it customers think they know what's best for them?  Microsoft has been making operating systems a long time and they know what's best for you, and how and when it should be installed.

borg95.gif

#7 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

@Nick: and look at the reward.  Comments in that Register article are very perceptive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users