Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Left-Click Windows icon in lowr-left corner: Nothing happens

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:22 PM

I left-click on the windows icon, but nothing happens.  Right-click, though, gives a pop-up list.  Can someone suggest how to restore the left-click behaviour?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:48 PM

Hello RuddyDuck :)

I left-click on the windows icon, but nothing happens.  Right-click, though, gives a pop-up list.  Can someone suggest how to restore the left-click behaviour?

That suggests like a bug to me. Try updating using the Settings app

Since you can't access the Start Menu, here's how to open the Windows Update of Settings app:

Press WindowsR

Type ms-settings:windowsupdate and press enter

Now, install all the updates

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

Hello RuddyDuck :)

That suggests like a bug to me. Try updating using the Settings app

Since you can't access the Start Menu, here's how to open the Windows Update of Settings app:

Press WindowsR

Type ms-settings:windowsupdate and press enter

Now, install all the updates

-CKing

Thank you, Mr. King.   I tried that, and the Update and Security dindow checked for updates, then reported that "Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ‏‎20:32" and that "Available updates will be downloaded and installed automatically."

So that didn't work for me.

Thank you for trying!

Edited by RuddyDuck, 19 October 2015 - 12:23 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:44 PM

Have you looked at the actual settings for your touch pad and/or mouse as far as what the left button is mapped to as far as its function?  It's possible that it may not be set to left-click (I've seen this though I've never figured out how it came to occur).

Here's a screen capture of the buttons definitions dialog for the Synaptics touch pad device on my laptop:

[attachment=171828:Synaptics_Button_Settings.jpg]

Edited by britechguy, 18 October 2015 - 10:49 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:22 AM

Have you looked at the actual settings for your touch pad and/or mouse as far as what the left button is mapped to as far as its function?  It's possible that it may not be set to left-click (I've seen this though I've never figured out how it came to occur).

Here's a screen capture of the buttons definitions dialog for the Synaptics touch pad device on my laptop:

attachicon.gifSynaptics_Button_Settings.jpg

I have two Windows machines (a desktop machine and a laptop). Only the laptop has a touch pad, while I use a keyboard and mouse with the desktop.

It is only the desktop machine that has this problem, and I doubt that the problem would be with the mouse settings on that machine, as the left-click and right-click work as expected in other applications, and for other icons on the desktop; it is only the Windows icon in the lower-left corner for which left-click does not work (but right-click works as expected, the same as it does on the laptop).

Edited by RuddyDuck, 19 October 2015 - 12:26 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:50 AM

Does pressing the "Windows" key work to show the menu/screen?

Try to run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.
From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

If this is W10, you can try a Reset with the Keep my files option

If this is W8/8.1, you can try a Refresh

This will reset the system without removing your files.

Edited by usasma, 20 October 2015 - 05:53 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

Try to run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

Thank you, usasma.

I have tried what you suggested, except for the last step (Reset with Keep my files option), which I have not yet tried.

So far, no joy. After backing up my applications, I will try the "Reset with Keep my files", and if that doesn't work, then "Reset" withut that option.

Ehank you for your help!

Edited by RuddyDuck, 20 October 2015 - 05:24 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

Thank you, usasma.

I have tried what you suggested, except for the last step (Reset with Keep my files option), which I have not yet tried.

So far, no joy. After backing up my applications, I will try the "Reset with Keep my files", and if that doesn't work, then "Reset" withut that option.

Thank you for your help!

I am trying to reset the desktop PC now.  At first I had difficulty even finding the Reset page under Settings (the computer was VERY sluggish and slow to respondm and clicking on the Search results seemed to do nothing).  But eventually the computer did bring me to that page, and I have started the reset process.

(I am typibng this on my other computer, the laptop machine, which I am NOT trying to reset.)

thanks for your help!  I will post the results after I have reset the desktop machine and re-installed applications.

Edited by RuddyDuck, 23 October 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

This is how you do it:

Open Settings

Go to Update & security

Go to Recovery tab on the left side

Click Get Started, and choose Keep My Files

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#11 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

&nbsp;

This is how you do it:

Open Settings
Go to Update &amp; security

-CKing

&nbsp;

#12 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:56 AM

This is how you do it:

Open Settings
Go to Update & security

-CKing

Of course.  The problem was, with left-click on the Start button (Windows icon at left end of the task bar) not working, I was unable to "Open Settings" - the very first item in your procedure.  I had been been right-clicking on the Start button to access most of the things I wanted to do by means of the reght-click popup list that appears.  But there is no "Settings" item in that popup list!

Somehow  (sadly, I don't remenber exactly how, but it wasn't obvious) I was finally able to access Settings and find my way to the "Reset my PC".

I wish that the right-click menu on the Start button gave access to Settings, but it doesn't, and that left me stymied.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work for me.

The good news is, I was able (eventually!)  to reset my PC.

Edited by RuddyDuck, 24 October 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

Did the reset fix the original problem?  I would presume so, but it would help to have this stated explicitly.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#14 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

Did the reset fix the original problem?  I would presume so, but it would help to have this stated explicitly.

The reset did fix the original problem.

Thank you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users