Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Help] remote access connection manager service missing and other problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hi,

after recently downgrading and then upgrading back up to Windows 10 I experienced yet another problem. Now I have no remote access connection manager service. This was discovered by a technician via live support trying to help me create a VPN connection.

The other problem I have is installing virtual machines. Here are a couple of screen captures with the error messages here:

df2947c6d23eaa4470aae686cb8ce544.png

16e85ad1f4777892c95f7965c341fd1e.png

I want to know what my options are and any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to resort to doing a complete clean re-installation of Windows just yet. Furthermore I also did come across http://www.easeus.com/system-go-back/ and was wondering if that would bring me back to a normal functioning Windows 7 as even downgrading from Windows 10 in the past seemed to have caused some problems. 

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

This is because you have to point to the actual installer (the one with .msu extension that came with VirtualBox)

I want to know what my options are and any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to resort to doing a complete clean re-installation of Windows just yet. Furthermore I also did come across http://www.easeus.com/system-go-back/ and was wondering if that would bring me back to a normal functioning Windows 7 as even downgrading from Windows 10 in the past seemed to have caused some problems. 

This will only work if you used this before. Also, I would not rely on third-party program to do so. Windows 10 has rollback feature built-in.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:45 AM

I do a lot of upgrades and downgrades at work (and, FWIW, you're the 2nd person that I've seen have problems with remote connection software). 

In short, if you're having problems, reverting to the previous OS is likely to have problems also.

This is common enough that we advise customers that they will need recovery media if the revert fails (which it does quite often).
And, if it fails, then there is the question of how to access the data on the system - and how to back it up.

Here's the most common W10 suggestions that I've found:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

Edited by usasma, 20 October 2015 - 05:46 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:49 PM

Hi,

1. I did try the power-shell method first. I then tried to connect to the VPN software again after rebooting and got following error: ee93dc7ed892dd2356c1f00ee4eaca94.png
  2. I have actually managed to uninstall some AVs and reinstalled a new one. However when trying a free trial with one it kept detecting another AV that I couldn't find anywhere on my system. I was trying a free trial with Kaspersky which kept detecting ESET Node32.
  3. All the drivers and all of the software and other info for that matter on my manufacturers website does not say anything about support for Windows 10. Also the latest dates on there are the years 2011 and 2012.
  4. Lastly if it is still deemed necessary before we go onto other things would you be able to give me a link to where I can get all the fresh W10 stuff. The updates shouldn't be a problem since I can do that via the W10 update centre.

Thanks for your time.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:35 AM

IMO a clean install of W10 will be the best thing.

Unfortunately, this will delete all of your data - so be sure to back it up first!!!

Here's the link to the W10 tool:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Have you activated W10 on this system already?

If so, while connected to the internet, skip the first request for a product key, then select "not now" or "do it later" (I'm unsure of the wording) at the second prompt for a product key.

When you get into W10, check to see if it's activated - that should already have been taken care of for you.

As for the VPN error, try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it.

FYI - here's a page on my website that lists the different uninstallation tools for different antivirus programs:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:11 PM

I am currently going through the clean installation process now and I am assuming I have already activated W10 on here. It was running on Windows 7 before and is now currently running W10 home.

#7 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

Actually just checked in the setting and yes it is activated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users