Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Restart your computer to install important updates" issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

For over 24 hours Windows Update has said "Restart your computer to install important updates", yet every time I restart and check Windows Update it is still saying "Restart your computwer to install important updates". The update history shows a security update, KB3069762, which has been showing as "pending" for the whole of this period despite numerous restarts, but never shows as "successful" or "failed". It just stays stuck at "pending". 

Is it likely this is the cause of the problem? I also uninstalled the "Upgrade to Windows10 Home " update which now shows as failed.

PS - I've tried uninstalling security update KB3069762 and then reinstalling manually via Microsoft Security Bulletins (MS15-067) but it still shows as pending after restarting.

Edited by n01paranoid, 18 October 2015 - 05:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:50 PM

Delete SoftwareDistribution where all downloaded updates are cached. Click Star Menu and type Cmd.exe into search box right clich Cmd.exe select "Run as administrator".  Within opened Command Prompt type Net stop wuauserv press Enter key. Type Rd /s /q %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution  press Enter key and restart your computer then check for new availble updates.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:55 AM

Thanks a lot FreeBooter, really appreciated. Unfortunately nothing's changed. Windows Update still says Restart your computer to install important updates despite several restarts. it's a bit of a concern because this pending update is listed as critical, and when I try to install it manually from the security bulletins site it says it's already installed.

Edited by n01paranoid, 19 October 2015 - 04:15 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

Fix It 50202 works in Windows XP, Vista and 7 only.
Microsoft also has the very powerful Fix It Tool 50202 that completely reinstalls Windows Update components. This one is especially helpful in cases where Windows Update is not able to check for updates (for example, error 800700C1) or installs the same updates all over again (several cases with infinite loops of .NET Framework updates).

Because Microsoft just loves to move the tool randomly around (and its site search is not helpful either), I now provide direct download link to Fix It Tool 50202.

Please save the file, do not run it automatically!
After downloading is complete, run the program (named MicrosoftFixit50202.msi).
Click I Agree in the License Terms page and then click Next.
wurepair04.jpg

As you can see, the Run aggressive options (not recommended) check box on Additional options screen is unchecked. I strongly suggest to execute the repairs without enabling aggressive options for the first time - this will retain all Windows Update and Microsoft Update settings.
Click Next.
wurepair05.jpg

In Windows Vista and 7, User Account Control will appear. Click Continue or Yes.
The tool will then create a System Restore point and run the fixes. Some files might be downloaded during the process.
After the program has done its job, click Close.
wurepair07.jpg

A prompt to restart your computer appears. Save open documents and close all open programs. Then click Yes.
wurepair08.jpg

Verify that Automatic Updates, Windows Update or Microsoft Update works

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,134 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:39 AM

See if the update is already install and if its uninstall it then either manualy install the update or install the update from Windows Update app.

- Dalai Lama

#6 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:39 AM

Thanks a lot condobloke. I ran Fix it and it said it was unable to close cryptographic services. I went into services to try and close it but couldn't. Its dependencies were my anti virus and TrueVector internet monitor. So does anyone know if cryptographic services could be causing this issue of the update staying pending without installing properly?

Also, this update, KB3069762, relates to a vulnerability when Remote Desktop Protocol is enabled. When I went to the dialogue box to check if RDP is enabled (system/advanced system settings/remote), the 3 check boxes relating to RDP are missing. All I have is a check box for remote assistance, so I don't know for sure if RDP is enabled or disabled. Any help on how to sort this out would also be appreciated.

Yes, I've tried that Freebooter. When I search installed updates it says it's installed, but uninstalling and reinstalling manually just gets me back to the same situation.

Edited by n01paranoid, 19 October 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,134 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:51 AM

If you have not you can also try out Windows Update troubleshooter tool if this tool wont help you resolve the issue then run "System Update Readiness Tool".

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3132

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

- Dalai Lama

#8 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

Thanks FreeBooter.I've tried those. Windows Update  Troubleshooter said it couldn't check for updates whilst there were other updates waitng to be installed, and SURT installed a hotfix but it didn't make any difference.(PS - your Avatar is pretty much what I feel like doing)

UPDATE:

I've just checked again to see if that update shows as installed in installed updates and it's not there, but when I try to install it manually it says it's already installed. Weird.

Edited by n01paranoid, 19 October 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,134 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:47 AM

Install Windows updates one at time from Windows Update see that will repair the problem.

- Dalai Lama

#10 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

Update: I've no idea why but it seems to have corrected itself. In Windows Update I've now got the green shield saying everything's up to date.

There's a bit of an issue with update KB982670 to do with netframework 4 profile which keeps on trying to install but failing. I don't have version 4 so why should this keep on trying to install?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users