Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop and Desktop icons are blocked

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chessmaster2000

chessmaster2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

Hello, I'm having a really difficult time figuring this issue out-- hoping this is being posted in the right place and someone can help....

A friend's computer was taken over by some junk programs such as tencent QQPCMgr, Conduit, Cassiopesa, and PPTV so I went through the steps outlined in http://www.wintips.org/malware-removal-guide/ to remove all the malware I could find.

The only kink in removal was that a number of IAT hooks were found in chrome dll files when scanning with RogueKiller, but all visible malware was removed, and no other tool detected the presence of any rootkits.

However, there is a major problem that I cannot resolve: the desktop is slightly greyed out, blocking the icons and preventing me from right-clicking on the desktop: no_icons.png

The only way to even see the icons is to hover over the preview and use windows peek: icons.png

[Edit: this problem happens even in Safe Mode]

The desktop items are still accessible from windows explorer, but I'm concerned about what is blocking the desktop.  

I'm really hoping there's a way to resolve this short of reinstalling the OS  :unsure:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

PS here's the system info: http://s21.postimg.org/gdmep8rwn/system_info.png

Edited by chessmaster2000, 18 October 2015 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users