Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G60-549DX Windows 10 Upgrade Sleep Problem

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 GameMaster

GameMaster

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hello,

About a month ago, I updated my HP G60-549DX Notebook to Windows 10. This computer is not used too often and I found out when I was trying to dual boot Linux Mint on it that the laptop's screen doesn't wake up from sleep when the lid is closed (sleep) and reopened (wake). It looks like it only occurs when sleeping and waking with the lid. Sleeping and waking with the power button works fine.

I have tried checking HP Support Assistant and HP Update for updates and didn't find anything, I have tried removing the display driver from Device Manager and doing a hard reboot, that didn't work. I tried updating the display adapter driver within Device Manager. That didn't work either.

An HP web page recommended to update the BIOS, but there isn't a BIOS listed under the Windows 10 category on the product support page for my laptop. HP says, "Installing a BIOS that is not designed for the processor or operating system in your computer could cause the computer to stop working." How could this be though? I should be able to install and use Linux Mint fine, right (keep in mind, I still want Windows 10 on the laptop)? The live USB I created seemed to work okay. It looks like there is a BIOS update for the laptop for Windows 7, however.

It seems unlikely that HP will ever develop a fix for my laptop, according to HP, "If you purchased your computer prior to August 2013, HP has not tested or developed drivers for your computer model. Some features might not work, or the installation might not be successful. For these products, see Where Do I Find Windows 10 Drivers and Software for My Model?"

Help is greatly appreciated to be able to get this laptop working smoothly again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:47 PM

Hello!

We need more information about your system

Download and open Speccy (This is a portable version as the installer bundles programs)
You will see a spinning circle at the bottom. Wait for it to finish and disappear
Go to File Publish Snapshot

A warning will appear of publishing the snapshot, click Yes

Now, a window will come, and click on Copy to Clipboard and paste it into your next reply.

We also need information about the drivers that are not working using MiniToolBox

Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop

Right-click on the file and click on Run as Administrator

Checkmark these things

List Devices - Only Problems

Click Go

Now, a log will appear. Copy and paste it into your next reply

What I would like to see in your next reply

Speccy Link

MiniToolBox log

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

An HP web page recommended to update the BIOS, but there isn't a BIOS listed under the Windows 10 category on the product support page for my laptop. HP says, "Installing a BIOS that is not designed for the processor or operating system in your computer could cause the computer to stop working." How could this be though? I should be able to install and use Linux Mint fine, right (keep in mind, I still want Windows 10 on the laptop)? The live USB I created seemed to work okay. It looks like there is a BIOS update for the laptop for Windows 7, however.

This means that the BIOS is usually not backwards-compatible with the previous OS. You should still be able to install Linux Mint with GRUB boot loader with the BIOS. That said, updating the BIOS is pretty dangerous because if the shuts down during the update, your computer will be rendered unbootable.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#4 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

Hello CKing,

I have ran the programs. Here is the speccy snapshot. The MiniToolBox results are below.

MiniToolBox Results:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 25-07-2015 01
Ran by Ben (administrator) on 21-10-2015 at 17:27:09
Running from "C:\Users\Ben\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  (X64)
Model: HP G60 Notebook PC Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Devices: ================================

**** End of log ****

This means that the BIOS is usually not backwards-compatible with the previous OS. You should still be able to install Linux Mint with GRUB boot loader with the BIOS.

Okay. Thanks!

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

Apparently there is no driver issue here. Updating the BIOS will is required as there is an older BIOS update (you should just go with the latest one) that had this

Updates the Computrace OPROM to support the next generation of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems.

So, you should try updating your BIOS

Warning! Please read this first.
BE CAREFUL. Keep your notebook plugged in at all times during the BIOS update

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#6 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hello CKing,

I have some unfortunate news. My laptop seems to be bricked after the BIOS update. I tried to install the latest BIOS update for Windows 7 on my Windows 10 computer using the BIOS installer program provided by the BIOS download link on HP's website. It said it was erasing and rewriting the BIOS for about 2 minutes and the fan(s) revved up. After which, my laptops screen went all white. It was not possible to shut down the laptop via the power button, so I had to remove the battery. Upon a reboot, I just got flashing power and charging LEDs and the sound of fan(s) running. It seems it is possible to turn on the laptop and I found out that an HP logo shows for around 10 seconds, but the backlight is not working. After which, it goes to the Windows 10 logo and just stays stuck there with the lights continuing to blink. This is an old laptop (I think it was purchased in 2009) and my family hardly ever uses it (we have other computers we use for daily activities).

Please be aware that I do not blame you for this. I understand that you were just trying to help and things happen. EDIT: I also think I should have made sure the Windows 7 BIOS updater worked on Windows 10 beforehand.

If you have any ideas on how to fix this, please tell me. I have tried multiple things, but I want to start on a clean slate with this as I may have not done something correctly when attempting to correct the issue (maybe the BIOS files I tried to restore were not named right and whatnot).

Kind Regards,

GameMaster

Edited by GameMaster, 24 October 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:43 PM

I have some unfortunate news. My laptop seems to be bricked after the BIOS update. I tried to install the latest BIOS update for Windows 7 on my Windows 10 computer using the BIOS installer program provided by the BIOS download link on HP's website. It said it was erasing and rewriting the BIOS for about 2 minutes and the fan(s) revved up. After which, my laptops screen went all white. It was not possible to shut down the laptop via the power button, so I had to remove the battery. Upon a reboot, I just got flashing power and charging LEDs and the sound of fan(s) running. It seems it is possible to turn on the laptop and I found out that an HP logo shows for around 10 seconds, but the backlight is not working. After which, it goes to the Windows 10 logo and just stays stuck there with the lights continuing to blink. This is an old laptop (I think it was purchased in 2009) and my family hardly ever uses it (we have other computers we use for daily activities).

You should have let it finish, as it was not finished. Right now, it is not bricked as you are still able to attempt to boot, which in itself is a good news

Now, you may be able to flash it using a USB drive. This time around, let it update.

Here is how you do that:

1. Use another computer to download the BIOS update again.

2. Execute the BIOS file (it should be spxxxx.exe). The files will extract to: C:\swsetup\spxxxxx 
3. Copy the .bin file onto the USB drive.
4. Connect the USB drive to the PC that needs the BIOS update and turn on the PC.
5. Press F10 to go into the BIOS menu and select File.
6. Select Flash System ROM.
7. Select the USB device.
8. Select the .bin file and follow the onscreen instructions.

This is from hp.com and this might work with your damaged BIOS. This time around, you should let it finish (simple way to tell is that when it is done, it will boot into windows so you will see the windows booting logo after it is complete)

Warning! Please read this first.
Be careful. Do not force-restart the computer or let it shut down from low battery (so keep the laptop plugged in) Let it finish, as when it is finished, it will boot into Windows.

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 24 October 2015 - 09:43 PM.

Github | Keybase

#8 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

"You should have let it finish, as it was not finished." -CKing123

It was on that white screen for about 15 minutes. BIOS updates don't usually take that long (but I never tried it using an installer).

"Now, you may be able to flash it using a USB drive. This time around, let it update...Execute the BIOS file (it should be spxxxx.exe). The files will extract to: C:\swsetup\spxxxxx" -CKing123

I have tried downloading the BIOS update on my computer. It automatically tries to run the software to update the BIOS on my non-HP computer resulting in several errors with the program.

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

Follow the instructions here and scroll down to Updating the BIOS when Windows does not start (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Good Luck! 

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#10 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

That's not how my utility looks like. It never gives me the option to do that. It lets me pick if and where I want to store the files and then it proceeds to install, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if I want to risk bricking my non-HP computer again by running through the whole installer. Please see here for what happens during the installer.

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:16 PM

You should let it export the files and stop the program, and find the correct .bin file using the article above from the location you let it extract to

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#12 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:23 PM

You should let it export the files and stop the program, and find the correct .bin file using the article above from the location you let it extract to

-CKing

Set the second option of extraction and then cancel it before it starts updating the BIOS, as you had not posted the next screen, and you tried to update the BIOS on your hp computer, is there the option to click install??? or does it start installing immediately after extracting?\

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#13 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

I got the files extracted to C:\SwSetup\SP51485. There is no .bin file, but there is a .FD file. Furthermore, I can't use the method described in HP's link as my laptop uses BIOS and not UEFI. Should I try your method described in post #7 just using the .FD file?

#14 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:28 PM

My apologies. Please ignore that. I did not read through the whole article.

#15 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

I tried accessing startup options and going into the BIOS by repeatedly pressing the escape, f10, and f8 keys without the USB. It continued to go to the frozen Windows logo each time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users