Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 trouble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tromatic

tromatic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

I have been having several problems with my Windows 10 computer. These troubles are numerous:

First, I can't access my Start menu or message center. When I R click on them these will show the expected submenus, but neither submenu will grant me access to the menus.

Second, when working in any program, including my browser, the screen will frequently "go white", in other words have all color fade, and have a message in the title bar at top of screen say "(program) not responding". The screen will return to normal a variable number of seconds later.

Third, and most ditressing, my computer will frequently go to the blue "frowny-face" screen, requiring that I reset my computer. This usually happens when i a maintenance program, such as a virus scan. The error message will usually say something like "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT", but this is variable. It will sometimes, but not always, begin to count up a percentage, saying that it will restart on it's own, but it never does restart, and rarely ever get to 100%.

my hypothesis is that i might have an errant process running, but I have no way of investigating this, because pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL will not always lead to the option screen allowing me to run the Task Manager. Any advice will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

First, I can't access my Start menu or message center. When I R click on them these will show the expected submenus, but neither submenu will grant me access to the menus.

You will have to install all the updates, as one of the update fixed my issues with Start Menu.

Second, when working in any program, including my browser, the screen will frequently "go white", in other words have all color fade, and have a message in the title bar at top of screen say "(program) not responding". The screen will return to normal a variable number of seconds later.

This may be because your computer is slow, but that also depends on other issues. Did you upgrade your PC, or you got your computer with Windows 10 already installed? If upgraded, which OS did you upgrade from?

Third, and most ditressing, my computer will frequently go to the blue "frowny-face" screen, requiring that I reset my computer. This usually happens when i a maintenance program, such as a virus scan. The error message will usually say something like "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT", but this is variable. It will sometimes, but not always, begin to count up a percentage, saying that it will restart on it's own, but it never does restart, and rarely ever get to 100%.

This is a BSOD, you should wait for it to reach 100% and automatically restart, and then follow the instructions at Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions, as the experts at BSOD forums will take care of the BSOD issue.

-CKing123

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 tromatic

tromatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

How do I install updates, without access to my Start menu?

I upgraded from Windows 7.

I can't wait for it to automatically restart, because it amost never will restart, and will rarely get up to 100% on that screen. I frequently haveto reset it mmyself by holding down the power button for a few seconds, then unplugging my tower and hitting the power button a few times before replugging it and turning it on. But even then, it always runs very slowly.

#4 tromatic

tromatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

I attempted to run a maintenance program just now, and sure enough I'm at the Blue screen, and have been at this for over two hours. It says "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (100% complete)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

This is a new error message. I've never seen this specific error.

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

I attempted to run a maintenance program just now, and sure enough I'm at the Blue screen, and have been at this for over two hours. It says "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (100% complete)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

This is a new error message. I've never seen this specific error.

You will have to post in the BSOD forums as they are far more experienced experts there.

How do I install updates, without access to my Start menu?

I upgraded from Windows 7.

I can't wait for it to automatically restart, because it amost never will restart, and will rarely get up to 100% on that screen. I frequently haveto reset it mmyself by holding down the power button for a few seconds, then unplugging my tower and hitting the power button a few times before replugging it and turning it on. But even then, it always runs very slowly.

Try this:

Press Windows + R

Copy and paste this and press enter:

ms-settings:windowsupdate

Now you can check for updates

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users