Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IS adobe acrobat reader DC (15.008.20082) malware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sidhardtha

sidhardtha

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

i keep getting messages to update it.

i googled it. the results were all over the place.

i am on windows 7.

Edited by sidhardtha, 18 October 2015 - 08:33 AM.

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hi,

Acrobat Reader DC isn't malware if you download it from Adobe website (uncheck any Optional Offer its not needed).

It's important to keep Acrobat Reader updated because there are some exploits that can be used infect the computer if you are running an outdated version of Adobe Reader, one example of a recent announcement here at BleepingComputer Adobe releases Security Updates that Fix 69 Vulnerabilities

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

Did you install Adobe Reader DC?

The latest version of Adobe Reader DC is 2015.009.20069, that's why you get notifications to update it (assuming you installed it).

Edited by Didier Stevens, 18 October 2015 - 03:06 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

I have found that my pc does not meet the minimum system requirements to run Adobe reader. 1.5GHZ processor I only have a 1 GHZ processor. I tried to install it before and it just would not run.  By the way if you are using edge, edge will not support it. At least when I tried it.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:21 AM

Did you install Adobe Reader DC?

The latest version of Adobe Reader DC is 2015.009.20069, that's why you get notifications to update it (assuming you installed it).

i did not install it yet. i will now.

thank you all.

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users