Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft will pay $200 for your old laptop, or $300 if it's a MacBook

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:23 AM

Microsoft has launched a promotion called Easy Trade Up designed to get people to switch to new Windows 10 machines. If you buy a qualifying computer from the Microsoft Store for over $599 until October 20th, the company will give you a rebate after you send in your old laptop or all-in-one — you'll get $200 for a Windows computer, and $300 for a MacBook. Your trade-in computer has to be under six years old and in working order with a minimum display size of 11.6 inches. The offer is running in the US, UK, Canada, India, Brazil, France, Germany, and Taiwan.

This kind of promotion is a tactic Microsoft uses pretty frequently when it wants to juice sales. Recent years have seen the company offer $200 for iPads traded in against a Surface, $100 for PS3 owners switching to the Xbox One, $650 off a Surface Pro 3 in exchange for a MacBook Air, and $200 gift cards for a traded-in iPhone. The question with deals like these, as ever, is whether you'd get more money hawking your old device on Craigslist, eBay, or elsewhere; trade-in site Gazelle offers up to $539 cash for a MacBook Air, for instance.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/16/9548627/microsoft-trade-in-offer-windows-10-macbook?ref=yfp

No thanks Microsoft I will just put free Linux on my old PC's and avoid your spying.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

Linux yep time to put that on my test machine.

#3 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

Another cynical Microsoft ploy. Use your old kit.

There are many linux distros for old laptops which can run on ancient machines.

Go linux.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

Less than $200 saved once you factor in the price of shipping it to MS, but still a nice bit of savings. Another upside I suppose is that it does eliminate the hassle of figuring out what to do with an old computer you want to get rid of. I don't shop from the MS store though, so I won't ever be tradingup.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,721 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

Another upside I suppose is that it does eliminate the hassle of figuring out what to do with an old computer you want to get rid of

You put Linux on it and learn how to use it, Thereby freeing yourself from MS products forever.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

I've heard of this done before, but by clothes shops not computer manufacturers. Seems scarily like ms might be trying to remove from circulation machines which are old enough to have user ability to disable secureboot, it's the risk I warned of many months back.

Hopefully someone will start offering $210 for old laptops and convert them to linux and sell them like that, keep the good old machines in circulation.

Post #5
very well said nickau! But if this new move by ms takes enough older machines off the market how will you get hold of a compatible piece of hardware to run linux on when your current hardware dies?

Edited by rp88, 21 October 2015 - 02:04 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Tim_K

Tim_K

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

So why not use this promotion to get a new computer, then wipe the hard drive, put 7 on it, and locate the drivers?  I do this in my PC repair business.  It's not a problem if you know where to find the drivers at.

#8 OperaNet

OperaNet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

A good information! I need this  :P

#9 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

Another upside I suppose is that it does eliminate the hassle of figuring out what to do with an old computer you want to get rid of

You put Linux on it and learn how to use it, Thereby freeing yourself from MS products forever.

Or you could "donate" it to science and run a BOINC project on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Open_Infrastructure_for_Network_Computing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

#10 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:06 AM

Funny, I'd pay them $200 for a decent OS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users