Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed new cpu now pc wont boot(with old one too)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Miker2808

Miker2808

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:43 AM

Hi, writting on phone because i left withou computer.

Yesterday i received my new cpu (vore 2 quad q8400) and tried to install it, i have done it pretty safe didnt push the cpu because i know it may damage it, but i used a little much force when i tried to put the heat sink, but i very limited it. Then i plugged everything in and tried to to run the pc (i didnt forget the thermal paste) and nothing happend, the light power worked cpu fan worked motherboards light worked, but the HDD light didnt work, o had this since few days ago and also had it few months ago, always giving a little punch to the case solved it, this time it didnt, of course i plugged everything out and checked what could happen i realised i have put to much thermal paste and it ran to the sides, so when i tried to clean it a very little of the paste falled on the motherboard(on the flat area but with the electricty wires smelted on the board,you should get it) so i tried to clean it with the sticks for the ears, and cleaned it , then some of the thermal reached the pins of the cpu and i cleaned it as carrful as hugging ant,, and i changed back to the old cpu because people now said that i have to update the bios, when other said i dont need because the windows updated everything, and now i have put the old cpu back and with way less thermal paste, and plugged everything with even more care, but it didnt work, ive checked anything cpu fan, all the cables plugged, i tried then unplugging anythong, hdd, ram (kept one stick tried with both) nothing worked tried plugging back hdd anyway nothing (btw i have only the plwer light on no beeps, and hdd light is off) , now i got nothing some one said that if both new and old cpus not working the i damaged the motherbnoard and if this is the answer, then i guess ill buy new pc, when ill finish school probably, but its hard to believe, i didnt force the cpu, i judt a little forced the heatsink but with limited power, i tried to reset the bios with taking out the bios battery ( im mostly woried i could damage it with static) i was so excited for the new cpu i didnt prepare anything, maybe the thermal paste but soneone said that some thermal pastes dont do something with electricy and its safe, i didnt clean anything with wet cloth, my thermal paste is arctic mx-4,

Old cpu dual core e5400
Motherboard asustek p5kpl-am
New cpu quad core q8400(maybe 8600 i dont remember well,
Ram 2 gb each 2 sticks.

About the hdd, i had problems in it and someone in this fortum told me that my hdd is dying and not to repair,
Saying this because i had same thing when the hdd didnt light no beeps but before little punch fixed it and now not, so its confusing me with the problem agai cou fan is working and its light too, hope you can help me youre always helping me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miker2808

Miker2808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

After working very very hard, trying anything. checking youtuber (with my phone), i found a solution.

i tried first taking out the Bios battery, first time it seem'ed to not work, and then i've taken out and tried to use the jumper, and i think it didn't work.

and i've seen a video on youtube, on how to retrieve a dead Motherboard back to life   (this is what i searched on youtuber) and found a video about a guy how he fixed his CPU pins.

and i decided to try, (anyway my PC is dead, so why not..)

and i've seen one/two pins looking a little weird, one is too low, and other was like a little moved to the side. so i moved both of them with a niddle, and did as careful as possible, and now it seems to work.

but its +/- surviving. or something like that. it won't boot from first try, maybe its temprorarily, and will boot on first try with a time.

I'm very very happy, i'm able to write from my computer now, because i was far from able to afford buying new motherboard or even a new PC because i couldn't find any such mobos for sale.

Yeah, maybe i a little forced the CPU when tried to change it. hope other people with such problem will try it, instead of wasting more one... because some may have this problem with a brand new mobo, and just upgrading the CPU,

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

The pins in an LGA type socket are very delicate (and very fine) and it is important to align the CPU in the socket properly before clamping it down.  There is a small arrow in the corner of the CPU, which corresponds with an arrow on the socket to indicate direction it should be fitted, plus there are notches cut into the CPU to aid alignment.

Good guide here for socket 775 (same basic method applies to any LGA socket) - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-stakes-vision-pc-future-775-launch,830-6.html

Sorry you damaged your motherboard.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Miker2808

Miker2808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

It all started because i didn't actually know it should "land" on the pins, i knew i should put it very careful, but i thought it got to adjust to the socket, now i know it, and this won't happen again,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users